After over two weeks of being held captive, four more girls were said to have escaped from captivity and found their way to Monguno area of Borno State, according to sources.
So far a total of 48 girls have escaped, out of the 234 abducted from Government Secondary School, Chibok on April 14, 2014.
The source said, the girls were rescued by some good samaritans in a village near Monguno council area last Sunday before they were handed over to security operatives in Maiduguri, the state capital.
Monguno is about 134 kilometres from Maiduguri while Chibok is about 130 kilometres south of the state capital.
According to the source, “four abducted school girls who were smuggled out of Sambisa forest en route Monguno were in the last few days rescued by villagers. In fact, the girls, who looked traumatized and frustrated were sighted around the outskirts of Monguno. Only one of them managed to talk as she said, they were students writing their final year exams in Chibok but were kidnapped by unknown gunmen. She said that when four of them developed serious illnesses while conveying them to unknown destination, they were later abandoned by their captors in the bush, before being rescued by some villagers”.
The source revealed that, “already, four of the rescued students are under the custody of a female security personnel receiving treatment at an undisclosed hospital in Maiduguri. As soon as their condition gets better, they will be handed over to relevant authorities for onward delivery to their parents”.
When contacted on the development, the Caretaker Chairman of Chibok Local Government Area, Mr. Ba’ana Lawan said: “ Yes, I also heard that four of the abducted school girls have been rescued in Monguno before handing them over to the security operatives. I was told that they are currently receiving treatment at one of the hospitals in Maiduguri due to the condition they found themselves. I quickly rushed to the hospital to verify such an important information, but I was disappointed as I was not allowed to see or know the whereabouts of the girls by security men and the hospital authorities.
“As you may recall, the last time we received an information that four school girls were rescued and were under the custody of military operatives in Maiduguri, I visited the hospital where they were admitted and was given access to see them; but this time, I was not opportuned. So I cannot be in the position to confirm to you now, until I see the girls. Although, I was told by the security operatives to exercise patience, promising that they will call me in due course over the matter, so as soon as I am called upon, I will let you know the situation of things”, the Council boss said.