You heard them yourselves. It was not me who said it. The ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) gathered in a hall to celebrate one of its own, former Governor of Rivers State, Rotimi Amaechi.
They were told by a sitting governor and a former senator that:
1. Amaechi sponsored 80% of APC’s 2015 Campaign Budget
2. Amaechi sponsored all APC Governors campaigns.
And you saw how troubled Amaechi looked when the Senator was revealing his curriculum vitae (also a dossier) before the elders the APC. Clearly, he didn’t want his story told.
But we’ve heard it and you heard it too.
Also, note that everyone in the hall clapped for Amaechi, including the Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Professor Yemi Osinbajo who represented the President, General Muhammadu Buhari at the event which was reportedly put together by Amaechi for Amaechi and of Amaechi.
NOW THESE QUESTIONS FOLLOW:
1. How much is the total budget of the APC that one man and a governor would single handedly sponsor 80% of its budget, especially since the APC had claimed it had a more robust campaign than the PDP, which it said spent N1 trillion (N1,000,000,000,000.00).
2. From the records, the manageable estimated budget for Governorship campaigns is between N30 billion to N50 billion depending on the State. Governor Amaechi was said to have, single-handedly, sponsored about 19 Governors.
2. Since no one neither clarified nor denied other than to corroborate the claims made by the two stalwarts of the APC by cheers and ovations, we wish to know where Governor Amaechi earned 80% of an estimated N2 trillion (N2,000,000,000,000.00)? Our calculations of his legitimate income in the past 16 years as speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly for 8 years, and governor for 8 years places Amaechi no where near the region of being a billionaire.
So what legitimate business does Amaechi have to lay hold to stupendous wealth which he freely distributes across Nigeria?
Answers to these questions, would help clear the name of the former Governor Rotimi Amaechi, who is believed to be the most corrupt in the history of Nigeria given the allegations of monumental sleaze and larceny perpetrated under him.
Note that while the sponsorship of the Buhari APC campaigns were going on;
a. Rivers’ civil servants were owed salaries,
b. Rivers’ students on state sponsored foreign scholarships were stranded abroad,
c. Rivers’ roads were dilapidated,
d. Key projects such as Andoni/Opobo Unity Road and many others were abandoned,
e. The monorail suffered funding to meet its famed multi-million dollars for 2 km length,
f. Rivers’ pensioners were unpaid,
g. Contractors of all kinds including refuse managers were owed, and the list is endless.
But they – Buhari and the leaders of the APC – clapped for him in a monumental show celebrating corruption. What an indictment of Buhari’s “impeccable and immaculate reputation of integrity”.
The opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the author.