For someone who is a vintage lover, here’s what you need to know when doing up your pad Antiques lend a rustic feeling to your home. Shopping flea markets and antique stores are addicting, especially when it’s easy to turn your fragile finds into a lovely decorating coup. But just because you are a vintage lover, you possibly can’t have all the decorative pieces huddled together. It is extremely important to have a proper aesthetic quality when dealing with antique home decor.
1. Build your focal point: One of the most important aspects of decorating your house with antiques is that you can always overdo it and create clutter. One easy way to avoid unnecessary clutter is to buy one item that will operate as a focal point — for example a larger-than-average mirror, a coffee table, painting etc. You can then use this centre piece to select the rest of the pieces to do up your house. This focal point will help you create design boundaries for you.
2. Keep it practical: When buying antiques, you always have chances of buying everything and anything that you find attractable. But you need to choose wisely. When investing in something old, always make sure that it solves your modern day purpose as well — for example a vintage coat rack, an umbrella holder or a hallway mirror.
3. Work in symmetry: When you decorate your home in symmetry, not only does it make your home look beautiful but it also adds quantity to your decor pieces. For example when choosing a lamp shade, always choose a second one to do up another place. Or while buying a figurine, always purchase in pairs to feel better knowing that you’ve invested in the comforting balance of your home and not just pretty aesthetics.
4. Pick randomly: It’s not important to think out-of-the-box while picking something vintage but rather something that’s bought just spontaneously. When you choose something randomly, you are bound to pick some of the nicest things, thus don’t go with preconceived ideas when you are out shopping.
5. Keep it minimal: While picking vintage pieces, always remember to keep the items minimal. Since antiques are quite heavy decor items, sticking to the basics like a mirror, table, wall hanging etc, will also give some breathing space to your room.
6. Choose according to room colour: Just like you would pick any decor items according to the colour of your room or curtains — similarly when choosing antique pieces for your house, always remember to consider the hues before you buy anything.