ABUJA, Nigeria – Nigeria’s Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) said early Thursday, February 19, 2026, that it had taken into custody Nasir El-Rufai, the former governor of Kaduna State, shortly after he completed questioning by another federal anti-graft agency.
In a statement issued at 12.04 a.m. and signed by J. Okor Odey, the commission’s head of media, the agency said El-Rufai was in its custody “in connection with ongoing investigations.”
The confirmation followed nearly 48 hours of interrogation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) at its headquarters in the Jabi district of Abuja. According to the ICPC, El-Rufai was transferred into its custody on Wednesday, February 18, 2026.
Transfer Between Agencies
The ICPC statement said, “The Commission wishes to state that Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in our custody as at the close of work today, Wednesday, the 18th day of February, 2026. He is in the custody of the Commission in connection with ongoing investigations.”
The agency did not specify the allegations under investigation.
El-Rufai’s detention by the ICPC came shortly after his legal team had met administrative bail conditions granted by the EFCC.
Officials from the ICPC then assumed custody of the former governor, according to the commission’s statement.
Focus of the Investigation
While the ICPC did not outline the scope of its inquiry, the detention follows a report submitted by the Kaduna State House of Assembly alleging financial mismanagement amounting to 423 billion naira during El-Rufai’s eight years in office.
The report examined the procurement of foreign loans and the award of urban development contracts during that period.
The ICPC did not confirm whether its investigation was directly linked to the legislative report.
Cybercrime Charges Filed by Security Service
The latest arrest followed separate legal action by the State Security Service (SSS) also known as the Department of State Security Services (DSS), which has accused El-Rufai of unlawfully intercepting the phone communications of Nigeria’s National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.
On Monday, the SSS filed cybercrime charges against El-Rufai before the Federal High Court in Abuja. The case, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026, stems from remarks El-Rufai made during a live interview on Arise Television on Friday.
During the interview, El-Rufai said that Ribadu’s phone had been tapped and claimed that he heard the adviser directing security operatives to detain him.
He said the alleged directive led to an attempted arrest at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja on Thursday, shortly after he arrived from Cairo, Egypt.
Witnesses at the airport said security officials briefly confiscated El-Rufai’s international passport during the encounter before escorting him out amid chants from supporters.
Allegations and Legal Basis
In court filings, SSS prosecutors said El-Rufai admitted to intercepting the NSA’s communications, failed to report others involved in unlawful interceptions, and compromised public safety and national security by using technical systems to tap Ribadu’s phone.
The prosecution said the alleged actions violated provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) (Amendment) Act, 2024, and the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
No date has been fixed for his arraignment, and El-Rufai has not publicly responded to the charges.
Events Leading to Detention
The sequence of events began last Thursday, when security operatives attempted to arrest El-Rufai at the Abuja airport following his return from Cairo.
Videos circulating online showed a brief confrontation between security personnel and his entourage.
El-Rufai later alleged that the attempted arrest was carried out on the instructions of Ribadu through the SSS.
His lawyer, Ubong Akpan, criticised the airport incident, describing it as arbitrary and a violation of constitutional rights. He said the EFCC’s invitation had been delivered to El-Rufai’s residence while he was abroad, making immediate compliance impossible.
According to Akpan, his client formally informed the EFCC that he would present himself voluntarily upon his return, scheduled for 10 a.m. on Monday.
The lawyer also demanded the return of El-Rufai’s passport, calling its seizure an infringement on his dignity and freedom of movement, and warned of legal action over any unlawful detention.
Political and Investigative Background
El-Rufai has faced increased scrutiny since leaving office, including allegations that his administration diverted 423 billion naira in public funds.
In 2024, the Kaduna State House of Assembly called for investigations into his tenure, and he has since been summoned by the ICPC for questioning.
The former governor was an early supporter of President Bola Tinubu during the 2023 presidential election.
Tinubu was inaugurated in May 2023, but the two later parted ways politically after an initial move to appoint El-Rufai as a minister did not succeed.
El-Rufai has since joined the opposition African Democratic Congress, saying he would work with other politicians to oppose Tinubu’s re-election bid in 2027.
As of Wednesday night, El-Rufai remained in the custody of the ICPC, while investigations by multiple federal agencies continued.






