20.4 C
New York
Friday, August 29, 2025

INEC Disqualifies Abure’s LP Faction’s Candidates for By-Elections, Citing Supreme Court Ruling

Must read

ABUJA, Nigeria — The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has invalidated all candidates submitted by the Julius Abure-led faction of the Labour Party (LP), as well as those of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), for the upcoming Saturday, August 16, 2025 by-elections and Federal Capital Territory (FCT) council elections.

The decision, confirmed in the final list of candidates released by INEC, is seen as a major derecognition of Abure’s leadership and a clear signal that the commission intends to uphold judicial directives, particularly the Friday, April 4, 2025 Supreme Court ruling widely interpreted to have stripped Abure and his faction of legitimacy.

Reacting to the development, Obiora Ifoh, National Publicity Secretary of the Abure-led LP faction, described INEC’s action as “unlawful” and an “abuse of power.”

“The party is aware that INEC has no powers to stop it from sponsoring candidates or cherry-pick elections where it deems fit for our party to field candidates,” Ifoh said.

“It is on record that no court in Nigeria, including the Supreme Court, has derecognised the present leadership of the Labour Party. The April 4 judgment ruled only on the lack of jurisdiction and did not touch the substantive leadership matter.”

Ifoh insisted that internal party affairs are beyond the scope of judicial interference, arguing that the Supreme Court merely urged parties to resolve such disputes internally. He called on INEC to “enlist our duly nominated candidates for the August 16 by-election without further delay.”

In contrast, the Senator Nenadi Usman-led faction of the Labour Party celebrated INEC’s stance, claiming it reflects adherence to the Supreme Court’s judgment affirming Usman as the legitimate party chair.

Ken Asogwa, Senior Special Assistant on Media to Senator Usman, said:

“It’s heartwarming to see that INEC is now beginning to give effect to the judgment of the Supreme Court delivered on April 4, 2025, which affirmed Senator Nenadi Usman as the authentic chairman of the Labour Party.”

The Usman faction urged INEC to go further by formally recognising her leadership in all party dealings.

INEC also invalidated the candidate list submitted by the Social Democratic Party (SDP), though details about the specific infractions were not immediately provided.

Political insiders told THISDAY that none of the primaries conducted by the Abure-led LP faction was monitored by INEC officials — a statutory requirement for the validation of party primaries and candidate lists.

INEC had previously maintained that Abure’s tenure expired in June 2023, further complicating his legal standing within the party structure.

Oluchi Opara, a former national treasurer of the LP, added to the chorus of support for INEC’s decision.

“The apex court’s ruling clarified that Abure and his NWC no longer hold legitimate authority to act on behalf of the Labour Party. The decision upholds the rule of law and protects the integrity of the electoral process.”

She also urged Abure to “desist from grandstanding” and respect the legal framework guiding the party and the national electoral system.

The decision marks a watershed moment for the Labour Party, which has been embroiled in internal leadership tussles since its rise in national prominence during the 2023 general elections.

The clear stance taken by INEC signals a broader institutional commitment to enforcing internal party democracy and safeguarding the credibility of electoral outcomes.

With the August 16 by-elections looming, the fate of several candidates now hangs in the balance — and the Labour Party’s ability to present a united front is once again under the spotlight.

More articles

- Advertisement -The Fast Track to Earning Income as a Publisher
- Advertisement -The Fast Track to Earning Income as a Publisher
- Advertisement -Top 20 Blogs Lifestyle

Latest article