LONDON, United Kingdom – British police have arrested former Prince Andrew, now known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, on suspicion of misconduct in public office, before releasing him later the same day under investigation, authorities said.
The arrest followed renewed scrutiny of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s relationship with Jeffrey Epstein, the late financier and convicted sex offender.
Thames Valley Police said a man in his 60s had been detained in the morning and released approximately 11 hours later “under investigation,” meaning he has not been charged and remains subject to further inquiries.

Police statements did not identify the former prince by name, in line with British policing practice.
Photographs published by Reuters showed Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor being driven away from Aylsham Police Station in Norfolk in the afternoon of Thursday, February 19, 2026.
The station is about 50 miles from the Sandringham Estate, where he now lives.

Police Investigation
In a statement issued early Thursday, Thames Valley Police said the arrest was made on suspicion of misconduct in public office, an offence that can carry a maximum sentence of life imprisonment in the United Kingdom.
“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,” Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said.
“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.”
Police said searches were being carried out at two addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor lived at Royal Lodge in Berkshire until earlier this month and recently moved to a residence on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk.

Norfolk Police said they were supporting the Thames Valley Police investigation.
Earlier this month, Thames Valley Police said they were examining claims that Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, while serving as the United Kingdom’s trade envoy in 2010, shared confidential documents with Epstein.
One email included in a recent release by the United States Department of Justice appeared to show him forwarding Epstein a report prepared by a special adviser following an official visit to Southeast Asia.
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has not commented on the documents.

Statement From the King
The arrest drew a public response from King Charles III, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s brother.
In a statement signed “Charles R,” the king said he had learned “with the deepest concern” of the news and emphasised that “the law must take its course.”
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,” the statement said, adding that those authorities would have “full and wholehearted support and co-operation.”
The king did not answer further questions from reporters later on Thursday as he attended an engagement marking the opening of London Fashion Week.

Background and Legal History
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, who turned 66 on Thursday, has consistently denied wrongdoing in connection with Epstein. He stepped back from public royal duties in 2019.
In 2022, he reached a legal settlement with Virginia Giuffre for an undisclosed sum after she filed a civil lawsuit in 2021 alleging that Epstein trafficked her to the former prince when she was 17. Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor denied the allegation.
Following Thursday’s arrest, the Giuffre family issued a statement saying: “Today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty.”
It is rare for a senior member of the British royal family, or a former one, to be arrested. In 2002, Princess Anne, the king’s sister, was convicted under the Dangerous Dogs Act after her dog injured two children, though she was not arrested.
As of Thursday evening, Thames Valley Police said the investigation into the allegations against Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was continuing and that no further updates would be provided immediately.







