Smokers are nothing if not industrious in their excuse-making.You know it’s bad for you and you do want to quit, but there’s always a perfectly good reason why it’s totally impractical right now.Here are 14 excuses you’ve probably made for not quitting… and why you need to stop making them.
1. My other half smokes – how could I possibly quit?
2. I have a big presentation at work next week and need to be focussed on that, not quitting
3. If I quit I’ll be so irritable that it will literally be the end of all my relationships and friendships forevermore
4. I’m single and looking for love right now… and smoking’s so sexy!
5. The damage is done
6. The damage isn’t done
7. My whole social life revolves around smoking
8. I’m dealing with stress at the moment anyway. Quitting will just make that worse
9. I’m feeling under the weather. I’ll quit when I’m better
10. I need to be able to concentrate at work
11. It’s February – everything’s so miserable I need cigarettes as a pick-me-up
12. It’s spring – I’ll quit when the weather’s a bit warmer in a few months and I can bear it
13. It’s summer – I can’t give up while it’s actually warm enough to stand outside to smoke!
14. It’s Christmas – I should be able to enjoy myself!