18 Dead In String Of Boko Haram Suicide Bombing In Maduguri

18 Dead In String Of Boko Haram Suicide Bombing In Maduguri

By Wires | The Trent on June 19, 2017
0
Suicide The bodies of female suicide bombers evacuated from military outpost in Borno by NEMA officials | PR Nigeria
The bodies of female suicide bombers evacuated from military outpost in Borno by NEMA officials | PR Nigeria

At least 18 people were reported killed in multiple suicide bomb attacks near a camp for those made homeless by Boko Haram violence near the Borno State capital Maiduguri, emergency services said on Monday.

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said the attacks took place at about 8:45 p.m. (1945 GMT) on Sunday close to the Dalori camp at Kofa village.

NEMA northeast region spokesman Abdulkadir Ibrahim said two female suicide bombers tried to get into the camp but were thwarted by security personnel.

“Two other female suicide bombers also detonated their explosives at the adjoining Dalori Kofa village, where they killed 16 people,” he added in a statement.

Earlier tolls given by local people said at least 12 or 13 people had been killed but Abdulkadir said three of those injured and taken to hospital had since died.

“The 16 does not include the bombers,” he told AFP. Adding the two dead suicide bombers brings the death toll up to 18, News Express reports.

Two female suicide bombers were intercepted when they tried to gain access into Dalori 2 Internally Displaced People (IDP) camp.

A NEMA statement e-mailed to News Express said that two of the female suicide bombers were intercepted and taken into custody. “The injured victims have been administered with first aid and transported to hospitals within,” NEMA said.

Dalori is about 10 kilometres (six miles) southeast of Maiduguri and is one of the largest camps for internally displaced people (IDP) in the remote region.

Boko Haram has previously tried to target the camp: at least 85 people were killed in January last year when insurgents rampaged through communities near Dalori.

Residents were shot and their homes burned down while female suicide bombers blew themselves up among the crowds of people fleeing the violence.

The latest attack is the most deadly in Nigeria since June 8, when 11 people were killed in a rare combined gun and suicide attack in the Jiddari Polo area of Maiduguri.

Boko Haram has repeatedly targeted the strategic city, particularly its outlying communities, IDP camps and the city’s university.

The bombings and sporadic hit-and-run attacks underline the threat still posed by the jihadists, despite claims from the authorities they are a spent force.

Gunmen killed eight members of a civilian militia force assisting the military on June 11 in the Konduga area, which is on the same road as the Dalori camp.

At least 20,000 people have been killed in the conflict since 2009 and more than 2.6 million made homeless, many of whom are facing severe food shortages or starvation.

Buhari Defeats Boko Haram?

Late December 2016, President Muhammadu Buhari declared victory over the Islamist terrorist group after Nigerian troops announced that they have recaptured Camp Zero in Sambisa forest, the base of the deadliest terrorist group in the world.

The Nigerian Army later presented the president with the flag belonging to the terrorist group in a “mission accomplished” ceremony.

Since the declaration a week ahead of Christmas Day 2016, Boko Haram has launched a number of deadly attacks in the North Eastern region of the country where the terrorists have murdered at least 50,000 since they began their campaign to establish an Islamic caliphate in the country.

Additional reports by News Express.

NO COMMENTS

Leave a Comment

To leave a comment anonymously, simple write your thoughts in the comments box below and click the ‘post comment’ button.