To tell you the truth, NCDC can’t do anything for you because they are not ready.
All this PR they are doing, they are assuming people will not try that’s why.
On Wednesday, March 25. 2020, I and a colleague decided we wanted to be sure of our status before going into #selfisolation.
So we went through the following steps:
1. We called the toll free line and after all the normal recorded stories, when we chose to speak to an agent they ended the call.
2. We went to the University of Abuja Teaching Hospital, Gwagwalada, they told us that they don’t do testing there, that the hospital is only an isolation center. They referred us back to the NCDC office in town, told us that’s where the testing lab is.
3. We drove to the NCDC office at Jabi. There are two NCDC offices there in close proximity. The first officer told us that they don’t do testing but they directed us to the second office saying that’s where testing is handled.
4. The second office too absolved themselves of that responsibility and directed us to NCDC National Reference Laboratory, Gaduwa.
5. We visited the NCDC NRL. On getting there, the security at the gate informed us that a lot of people were there too earlier in the day and were turned away. That they don’t do testing for individuals unless your state took your sample and submitted to them.
6. They referred us to a circular posted at the gate and told us to contact the FCT Epidemiology team lead on COVID-19.
7. When I called him I introduced myself by name and then asked him if he’s the FCT team lead on this issue.
He answered yes. I then asked him how do I go about getting tested. He asked who are you? Who gave you my number? I told him I’m an Abuja resident and his number is on a circular at the NCDC office.
He told us he doesn’t know. He said we should go to NCDC. I told him but they referred us to you. He was silent. I then asked him to advise us. He told us to go to “National Health Disease Control” which doesn’t exist.
I will send a copy of the circular to this forum.
Obviously they are doing selective testing which is dangerous.
It means a lot of people might have been infected already but for lack of testing, they are moving about infecting others.
While the information from the official channels is saying people are not coming forth, the truth is that people are going but are being turned away.
I know because I was turned away first hand.
It also tells you that either the NCDC is lying to us or they are not coordinated at all.
How will you explain three branches of the office each denying responsibility and pointing us to the next instead of just explaining to us the laid down procedures by the NCDC?
You can reach Olayomi Koiki on Twitter Here
The opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the writer.