We all know the effects of smoking cigarettes on our body. But do we know the effects of E-Cigarette? For this it’s essential to know what an e-cigarette is and how do they affect your body. E-cigarettes have been on the market since 2008 and its usage amongst the high school kids has been increasing since 2011. E-cigarettes are battery-powered devices that heat a liquid containing nicotine mixed with propylene glycol and glycerin and often come in various flavors like bubblegum, cherry, and watermelon. Here,in this case there is no smoke but vapor from the liquid which the users can inhale.
There are studies and theories backed by certain scientists who have done thorough research on the effects of the E-cigarettes on the human body. It is said and believed that it does not have the nicotine levels as compared to a normal cigarette. However, we do not know whether this holds true or no. Let us see some well-known facts about e-cigarettes:
- One of the most dangerous factors about E-cigarettes is that it does not seem to be a motivation factor for the smokers to quit smoking instead it encourages them to smoke in the conventional way which can prove to be very harmful for your health. A study shows that 70-90% of the smokers are ‘dual users’ i.e. they smoke both cigarettes and e-cigarettes. Therefore, this is not compensating factor.
- Being a cardiovascular stimulant, it can have severe effects on people already suffering with a heart condition. It also has a substantial effect on the blood vessels which in turn increases the risk of having a heart attack.
- It can prove to be quite dangerous for infants and toddlers because if they end up taking some liquid in which is in concentrated form can have some serious effects on the child. Therefore, special care has to be taken to keep it at a place which is beyond their reach.
- Nicotine, in whichever form whether in vapor form or in smoke form is harmful for anyone and everyone. It is especially having adverse effects on pregnant women if they happen to consume nicotine daily and their babies can be born with lower immune system and birth weights.
- According to a study, 1.5 percent of high school students have tried e-cigarettes in 2011 as oppose to 16 percent in 2015. This considerable increase in the numbers is because of the addictive content called nicotine in these e-cigarettes which can be toxic for a young person’s developing body and mind.
- Researches who have studied this product closely say that the vapors emitted and inhaled by the users is more dangerous than the normal cigarettes because its particles are small enough to penetrate deep into the lungs causing enough damage.
- There are also chances of these e-cigarettes to explode because they are lithium-ion batteries and can cause irritation in the eyes.
- However, there are certain people who believe that e-cigarettes can serve as a gateway to quit smoking. This is because they found out that are adult smokers who uses e-cigarettes as a ‘taper down’ strategy from the normal cigarette and then ultimately quit smoking in the process. But this statement is subjective and it is important to spread awareness to quit smoking rather than taper it down.
Also people prefer vaping over smoking any day using dry herb vaporizers because it has the following benefits:
- Cleaner Inhalation: A dry herb vaporizer produces vapor which are thinner than the smoke of cigarettes which helps you inhale the herbs without causing much irritation in your throat or lungs since it does not contain toxic tar.
- Saving more weed: It is no secret that the dry herb vaporizer which conserves a major chunk of your stash of marijuana since it does not burn or combust the herb but only heats it making it more edible than the normal cigarettes.
There are and can be a lot of contradictory viewpoints against both e-cigarette and vaporizer but it is ultimately the decision of the consumer whether or not he/she wants to even smoke anything in the first place and if he/she chooses the former, then they have to take their decision. Know this, smoking of any sort is injurious to health. Consider this, before making your decision.