Man Nearly Killed By Electrocution After Charging iPhone On His Bed As...

Man Nearly Killed By Electrocution After Charging iPhone On His Bed As He Slept (PHOTO)

By Time Magazine on April 3, 2017
iphone, find your iphone, iphone tracker

A man from Huntsville, Ala., survived after he was shocked by 110 volts of electricity while sleeping with his iPhone charging in his bed.

Wiley Day’s dog-chain necklace acted as a conductor for electricity when it hit his iPhone charger and extension cord while he was asleep on March 22, the Washington Post reported. The 32-year-old was treated for second- and third-degree burns, the paper reported.

When he was jolted awake, Day fell to the floor and felt his eyesight fading, according to the Washington Post. “Your body is numb at that point,” Day told the Post. “I guess people would think it would be burning, but in my case I felt a whole lot of pressure around my neck.”

iphone charging electorcuted
Wiley Day’s dog-tag chain got caught on the prongs of his plugged-in iPhone charger. He was treated at a hospital for serious burns. | Wiley Day/The Washington Post

The jolt was “the eeriest, darkest, most demonic thing you could ever experience,” he told the Post.

Day was eventually able to rip his necklace off his neck and drove himself to the hospital for treatment.

“He is lucky to be alive,” Benjamin Fail, a physician from Huntsville, Ala. told WAAY TV. “Electrocution kills.”

Day now charges his iPhone in his kitchen and is warning others not to charge their electronics in their beds as he did for so long, the Post reported

“From my experience to others, it is not worth your life charging your electronics in bed,” he told the Post. “I mean, it’s not worth it. I wouldn’t wish what happened to me on my worst enemy.”

This article originally appeared in Time Magazine.


Leave a Comment

To leave a comment anonymously, simple write your thoughts in the comments box below and click the ‘post comment’ button.