Man City Star Benjamin Mendy Pleads Not Guilty To 7 Counts Of...

Man City Star Benjamin Mendy Pleads Not Guilty To 7 Counts Of Rape, Other Sex Offences

By Wires | The Trent on May 23, 2022
0
Benjamin Mendy

Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy on Monday, May 23, 2022, entered not guilty pleas to a string of sex charges when he appeared at Chester Crown Court this morning (Monday).

The 27-year-old denies nine offences against six women including seven alleged rapes. The French national, from Prestbury in Cheshire, wearing a dark suit and a tie, stood and answered ‘not guilty’ as each of the nine counts alleged against him were read out.

He denied seven counts of rape, one charge of attempted rape, and one charge of sexual assault. Mr Mendy’s co-accused Louis Saha Matturie, 40, from Eccles in Greater Manchester, entered not guilty pleas to 12 charges made against him concerning eight women.

He denied eight charges of rape and four counts of sexual assault. All except two of the alleged offences are said to have occurred between late 2020 and August 2021.

One of the rape charges against Mr Matturie is said to have happened in 2012 while a charge of attempted rape against Mr Mendy is said to be from 2018. Both men were arrested on August 26 last year.

A trial is scheduled to take place at Chester Crown Court from July. Formal pleas were taken today during an administrative hearing before the Recorder of Chester Steven Everett ahead of the trial.

Mr Mendy has played for Manchester City since 2017, when he joined from Monaco for a reported £52m. He was suspended by the club after being charged by police.

Source: ManchesterEvening

NO COMMENTS

Leave a Comment

To leave a comment anonymously, simple write your thoughts in the comments box below and click the ‘post comment’ button.