Nigeria Railway Generated N4.12 Billion In 2017 – Director

Nigeria Railway Generated N4.12 Billion In 2017 – Director

By Emmanuel Cornelius | Staff Writer on February 8, 2018
0
Railway,Nigeria,Director
Nigeria Railway | THISDAYLIVE

Fidet Okhiria, the managing director, Nigeria Railway Corporation, NRC, disclosed on Wednesday, February 7, 2018, that the railway corporation made over N4.12 billion in 2017, as against the N4.85 billion it targeted.

Okhiria made this known at the 2018 Budget Defence and the presentation of the organisation’s performance in 2017 before the House Committee on Land Transport in Abuja.

According to Okhiria, out of 2017 capital budget released, 32 percent was expended, noting that the procurement process of the remaining 68 percent will soon be concluded.

“I present to you our 2017 budget performance as well as the 2018 budget proposals, as you are aware, the beginning of 2017 was very challenging.

“However, we are delighted that government had made significant release this month. As at today, about 76 percent of the 2017 capital budget was released out of which 32 percent was expended.

“And the procurement process of the remaining 68 percent is being concluded. About 99 percent personnel cost and 15 percent overhead costs were released and were 100 percent utilised.

“Our targeted Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) for 2017 was N4, 852,955,428 and we were able to realise a total of N4, 129,348,493 which represent about 85 percent which has helped us to sustain the operations,“ he said.

Okhiria, however, said that the corporation target for 2018 is to improve on operational efficiency hence; its 2018 Budget proposal is being guided by the directive of Federal Ministry of Budget and Planning.

Okhiria said NRC was making a capital proposal of N11.43billion with personnel cost of N5.29 billion and an overhead proposal of N105,400.

He said it has projected to realise N4.29 billion in 2018.

“The capital proposal is aimed at continuous maintenance of both narrow and standard gauge lines, procurement of spare parts and rehabilitation of the locomotives coaches and wagons.

“Continue with the signalling and telecom system upgrade while the IGR will be mainly to cover operational expenses. “

Aminu Sani, the Chairman House Committee on Transport, said the committee had earlier asked the NRC team to appear before it with respect to the rail accident.

He said that looking at NRC performance in 2017 and its proposal for 2018; it will be tendered before the appropriation committee to go through it.

Sani said he wondered why NRC was spending money on rehabilitation of the narrow gauge line when it’s going to be a concession.



NO COMMENTS

Leave a Comment

To leave a comment anonymously, simple write your thoughts in the comments box below and click the ‘post comment’ button.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.