Tragic: Father And 1-Year-Old Son Die In Fire Outbreak

Tragic: Father And 1-Year-Old Son Die In Fire Outbreak

By Salisu Sulaimon | Sub-Editor on February 22, 2014
Father, Perowei Jacob, Kaltho Paul Kilyofas, Auwal Ibrahim, Adamu Nura

LAGOS – A man and his one-year-old son were trapped and killed in an early morning fire incident at Nubi Close, off Park road, along Apapa Road, Ebute Metta West. The fire razed two flats in the building.

The unfortunate incident happened on Friday February 21st 2014, and is suspected to have been caused by a lit candle as there was no supply of electricity in the area at the time.

It was learnt that the timely intervention of neighbours saved the mother and wife of the deceased as they tried unsuccessfully to put out the fire.

The Director, State Fire Service, Rasaq Fadipe, when contacted, reportedly said that the service was not contacted early, but that the men of the fire service responded early enough to put out the fire before it spread to other buildings.

“Yes, we recovered two bodies, a year old baby and a man of about 45 years. We were told the baby’s mother, who is also the man’s wife was rescued by people in the area who first gathered to put out the fire. “They did not call us early. If they had called us immediately while still continuing with their effort, we may have been able to save those lives.

“The Fire involved the upper floor of a residential two- storey building, consisting of two flats of three bedrooms each. The affected two flats at the upper floor were severely damaged by the fire.”

Fadipe also said that the Ebute Meta fire was the 20th fire outbreak the fire services have attended to in one week.


Leave a Comment

To leave a comment anonymously, simple write your thoughts in the comments box below and click the ‘post comment’ button.