1. It’s not a life sentence. I know it feels like it at the time but I promise you, you will not be alone for the rest of your life. You just won’t. Even if you are 400 percent alone right now, you will meet someone you really like some day. Maybe even later this week. That’s just how life works.
2. Sometimes it’s actually better than being around people. Because sometimes that’s what you need. And if it is, even hanging with your favorite person is going to be uncomfortable and not that fun because it’s not what you need right now. Give yourself permission to hang with yourself!
3. You can still have an assload of fun by yourself. List the things you’d want to do with other people. Go to the museum? Not a doubles activity. Go to a movie? Such a great thing to do alone. Tennis? Play against the wall.
4. It’s better to be by yourself than with someone you don’t even like. Man, the number of times I went to parties I fucking hated with people who were jerks, even though I knew I’d have more fun by myself, even if that fun just meant sitting in a room alone silently is… too many times.
5. Being able to sleep in a queen bed all by yourself is magnificent.Honestly, being able to sleep in any bed all by yourself is pretty fantastic but in bigger beds you can really try some shit out. What if I slept diagonally so my whole body is across the bed? Oh. What if I slept so my head is where my feet should be? Ooooh. Man, I am good at having fun.
6. It’s OK to purposely not date or date rarely. And spend the rest of the time doing you and figuring out what makes you happy. If anything, you should absolutely do this at some point. It’s vital.
7. When you are alone and living by yourself, no one cares if you do your dishes right away. Or put your shoes away immediately. Or really do anything involving cleaning if you don’t want to. This is really a thing to value.
8. Solo dance parties are the best, most cathartic dance parties. Unless you are the person I aspire to be one day, you’re never going to dance with the same wreckless, carefree abandon that you have when it’s midnight and your song is on and you just go for it.
9. It’s OK to want to be alone sometimes. You’re probably not at the beginning of a depressive spiral that will ultimately lead to you failing at life because you can’t be around people anymore. You probably just need a break and it’s OK to take it.
10. It’s nice not having to worry about coordinating a bunch of other people. You want to go to an 11 a.m. movie? Just go. You don’t have to check with anyone about shiiiiit.
11. You will get way better sleep when you sleep alone. I know cuddling rules so so so much. I could write like 9,000 words on how much cuddling is the best thing on this entire planet but also, I almost never get really good sleep when there is a cute human in my bed. Why? Because I could be cuddling instead and I will choose that every time.
12. Anything that doesn’t require you to put on pants is a great thing. And being alone usually doesn’t.
13. Sometimes it feels incredibly shitty and is the worst. Being alone is sometimes incredibly painful. That’s chill. Feel how painful it is, know that feeling will pass and you’ll feel great again.
14. It’s totally fine to let yourself be as weird as you want to be. So you want to make faces of all of your friends using only potatoes and a series of Sharpies while singing the entire My Fair Lady soundtrack in your underwear? Go for it. Who’s stopping you? No one.
15. You’re never actually totally alone. We’re all fed this idea that if we’re not with our perfect person or the perfect group of Sex And The City (they weren’t perfect, but you get what I mean) friends then we’re totally alone. False. You have friends or you have co-workers or you have that cool old lady at the grocery who smiles at you every time she sees you. And all of those people would get a drink with you. Especially Grocery Store Gayle.