17-Month-Old Boy Dies In Hospital After Judge Orders Withdrawal Of Life-Support (PHOTO)

17-Month-Old Boy Dies In Hospital After Judge Orders Withdrawal Of Life-Support (PHOTO)

By Chidinma Unigwe | Sub Editor on October 7, 2014
0
lagos cyprus student Nollywood Ikoli Robert Emeka Mgbeahuruike, Robert Mgbeahuruike, Francis Anekwe, Father Robert Mgbeahuruike
The 17-month old baby on the Life Support Machine in London’s King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (Photo Credit:Daily Mail)
The 17-months old baby on the Life Support Machine (Photo Credit:Daily Mail)

An unnamed 17-month-old boy who suffered brain damage has died days following a ruling by a High Court judge Ms Justice Russell, directing that he should be taken off a life support machine which the family were not in support of.

The little boy was prematurely born by emergency Caesarean Section in ‘poor condition’ and had been in the care of a hospital managed by London’s King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust until his death. It was learnt that the NHS Trust had asked the judge to rule the withdrawal of the life-support treatment.

Meanwhile, he reportedly went through a cardiac arrest which lasted for about 20 minutes and needed resuscitation.

Last week, the judge, Miss Justice Russell ruled that it was better for the boy to be relieved from the ‘life-sustaining intensive care’ asserting that the little boy was going through ‘profound irreversible brain damage’.

Speaking about the death of the little boy, a lawyer Yogi Amin who stood in for the parents of the late boy expressed that the death of the boy had caused them serious pains.

Amin, who is a lawyer with a law firm Irwin Mitchell, said: ‘The family are of course devastated to have lost a precious life in their family and have asked for privacy at this incredibly difficult time to grieve for their son.’

During the hearing at the Family Division of the High Court in London, Russel noted that there had been ‘multiple failures’ at one stage of the little boy’s care.

Daily Mail reports that Claire Watson, representing the NHS Trust, said the little boy suffered acute cardiac arrest in late 2013 which consequently demanded he still needed mechanical ventilation.

Also, she stated that something was not right but failed to give a detailed analysis of what it was.

The executive medical director of NHS Trust, Michael Marrinan, , today, October 07, 2014 tendered an apology based on the fact that consensus was yet to be reached on the best step to take.

‘Decisions about what is best for patients in circumstances such as this are always difficult,’ he said.

‘This baby spent his whole life in our intensive care unit and after a long period of assessment by our doctors and independent experts, we determined that he did not have hope of improving.

Ms Justice Russell ruled last week at the Family Division of the High Court in London that it was in his best interests for ‘life-sustaining intensive care’ to be withdrawn as he was suffering from brain damage

‘We are sorry that we could not reach an agreement with his parents about the best course of action to take.

‘We would like to extend our deepest sympathies to his parents for the loss of their son.’

Ms Watson had told the court that an investigation had been carried out and said the ‘trust have endeavoured to be entirely transparent about what has gone wrong’.

The judge accepted that the trust had been ‘transparent’ and ‘has not tried to cover anything up’.

But she said what had happened had ‘affected the way his parents feel about his treatment – as it would,” he added.

 

NO COMMENTS

Leave a Comment

To leave a comment anonymously, simple write your thoughts in the comments box below and click the ‘post comment’ button.