Blackstone, the infamous outdoor cooking equipment company has cornered the market in griddles since 2005 when they launched their 36-inch model to a market which was very ready for it. Since then they have expanded their product range, but retained the key features the Blackstone name is so well known for – which include a high quality griddle which always cooks food evenly, and fast. Oh, and of course it always tastes great too.
So considering shoppers can choose between models which measure either 28 or 36 inches the key question is, which size griddle is best? We can help you answer that, as here we compare the two in terms of size, features, design and more.
What they have in common
Both models are fuelled by propane, have stainless steel burners, a black powder coated frame also made from steel, and a cold rolled steel cooking surface. They have the same warranty period and both come with an instruction book – although they are easy enough to operate. You can cook with confidence on either model as they are designed to be stable during use, which also means food cooks very evenly. Finally, they are both very durable and rust resistant.
Key features of the Blackstone 28 inch griddle
Two independent burners, 15.000 BTUs each.
• 470 sq. inch cooking space
• Has one tray at the bottom, a side shelf and a grease cup.
• Good for backyard use or on camping trips
• Good for occasional use or parties of up to four people
• Foldable for storage
• 2 legs have casters, 2 fold. Can be rolled along like a suitcase to take camping etc.
• Weighs around 75 pounds
Key features of the Blackstone 36 inch griddle
• 4 burners, each with 15,000 BTUs
• 720 sq. inch cooking area
• Capacity to cook for a lot of people
• 3 shelves, one with extra features (paper towel holder, garbage bag hook, handy cutting
• Plenty of space for storage
• Casters on all 4 legs so easy to move
• Folds down for transportation or storage
• Well designed grease draining system makes both cooking and cleaning easier.
• Weighs around 130 pounds.
So which is best, the 28-inch or the 36-inch size griddle?
They both deliver amazing food, and fast, they are both easy to take camping, and made from great quality material which is built to last – so really it has to come down to how you plan to use it.
If you are sure, (or even pretty sure), you will want to cook for more than four adults/teens on a regular basis then it’s better to go for the larger model, as having to cook for more will be stressful and annoying. Otherwise, apart from the extra storage and prep space and easier cleaning of the 36-inch griddle there’s nothing much between them, not even the price difference, which is quite small.
For more help in deciding which type of griddle you should get, check out this Review of the Blackstone Griddle on Backyard Sumo.