Actually taking those steps to starting your own business is far different than just saying you want to be a business owner. Not everyone can do it, there are extreme highs and lows that you’ll experience and there are certain things that only entrepreneurs can understand.
1. You are always thinking about work. Even on holiday
You are so passionate about your business that you’ll never switch off. Every sign you walk past, every conversation you hold there’ll be an idea buzzing around your head.
2. You understand that there is no reward without risk
Leaving behind a steady job to pursue life as an entrepreneur is a risk in itself and you understand that you’ll have to take more risks along the way to experience the considerable rewards.
3. You feel that people are always there to second guess your success
No matter how successful you are there will always be people who second guess your success and try to pull you down.
4. You understand that your loved ones share the load
The life of an entrepreneur is unpredictable and comes with a certain amount of stress. Your loved ones share these feelings and experience the same ups and downs as you.
5. You understand that you have to become a leader
Whether to lead yourself, employees or suppliers, you understand that you need to become a strong leader. The way to achieve this is through effectiveleadership development.
6. You’ll constantly be faced with people who just don’t get you
Entrepreneurs are unique. Our drive and determination isn’t something people will always understand.
7. You will never find it easy to fire someone
You understand more than anyone how important a regular income is. This is why you’ll never find it easy to fire someone, even if they deserve it!
8. You think that nothing ever happens fast enough
You want things done now and it can feel like suppliers and employees are just slowing you down.
9. You hate tax time
You never want to have to pay tax and getting your books in order is an unwanted task.
10. You will grow to love your accountant
You want to spend as little time on paperwork as possible and your accountant will help.
11. You are involved in every area of the business
You are the sales, marketing, finance and operations teams all rolled into one.
12. You know when a risk is worth taking
It can be scary but you know that a calculated risk could result in immense reward.
13. You are never ill enough not to work
Time is money and you don’t have time to be sick and take time off.
14. You will always think of wacky ways to motivate staff
A happy workforce is a productive workforce and you’ll work you hardest to motivate your staff.
15. You sometimes question your life
When things are tough you’ll think about going back to employment. 10 minutes later you’ll be an entrepreneur again.
16. You don’t have regular working hours
What’s a 9 to 5?
17. You always want to move onto the next big thing
Ideas are constantly flowing through your mind and you want to put them into practice ASAP.
18. You accept that some ideas are crazy
You’ll have 99 crazy ideas but understand that just one needs to be perfect.
19. You don’t do later. You want things done now!
Why would you put things off until later? You can wake up a little earlier and get extra work done now.
20. You constantly write down ideas
Whether it’s on an iPad or the napkin in a restaurant. If you have an idea you are going to make a note of it.
21. You never stop being an entrepreneur
Wherever you go, somehow you think about work.
22. You constantly promote yourself
Every new person you meet is a potential business contact and you’ll take advantage of that.
23. You never have enough money
Even if you are making millions, you’ll never have enough funding. Your next idea is always bigger than the last.
24. Your personal social media accounts are packed full of business stuff
You are so proud of your achievements that you’ll turn to social media to keep everyone informed.
25. You don’t fear failure
Failures just brings you closer to success and you are never afraid to fail. It’s the inner drive and sheer determination that sees you through and those are attributes that never leave.
26. You have no greater feeling than success
The chance to succeed and make something of yourself is what gets you out of bed in the morning. Furthermore, you visualise what you could become in the short/long term therefore that encourages you to accomplish great things.
27. You feel like you can conquer the world
When you achieve something you feel like you can do anything and that next achievement will always be bigger. The ambition is what focuses you and it’s the constant target that ensures you progress in your project and strive toward success.
28. You can struggle with love
Work will always come first and some people don’t get that, which can make it hard to find love. Prioritization can hurt other factors in your life – but if you don’t prioritize then you’re not disciplined enough to succeed as an entrepreneur.
29. You are restless
You don’t sleep as much as you used to and if you take a few days away from work you are itching to get back. With the constant focus on success it’s very hard to switch off from work. Taking your work back home is also not an unusual thing for entrepreneurs.
30. You wouldn’t change a thing
Entrepreneurs have something in their blood and even when times are tough, you wouldn’t change a thing.