It was killjoy for 28-year old Adamu Hakadu, who for years had been seeking admission to a higher institution. At last, he secured an admission into the Kano School of Hygiene. His joy knew no bounds as he dutifully gathered all his credentials to go and commence registration for his programme.
He arrived at the school premises early, ahead of when offices were to resume. He recalled: “I underwent all the necessary procedures to secure admission in the school. The day I collected my admission letter, I was elated.”
But that was the end of his excitement, as his encounter last Monday with the operatives of the Boko Haram has forever changed the narrative of his life’s story.
On that day, the Boko Haram terrorist group struck in the school. Eight lives were lost immediately following the suicide bomb blast that rocked the institution. Luckily, Hakadu was not among the dead. He was among the injured.
Yesterday, he tried to recapture the memory of the devastating swiftness of the blast. In tears, Hakadu told his story: “What happened was a serious tragedy that I have never experienced in my life. At the time of the blast, we were all waiting for the provost but I decided to stand where the provost of the school usually parks his car.
“As we were waiting, he came in and I immediately informed my parents via a phone call that the provost was around. As I dropped the call, the next thing I heard was a deafening sound which looked as if I was slapped on my face.
“All I noticed was that my two legs were shattered. I managed to crawl on my chest out of the scene of the explosion. All I will say is that only God will repay those behind this dastardly act of snuffing life out of innocent Nigerians.”
Hakadu added: “I was so happy yesterday (Monday) that I was going to sign all the necessary documents to complete my admission process, but fate offered something else. I give glory to Almighty Allah that I survived it.”
Another survivor, Nafiu Musa Gwarzo, 19, an indigene of Gwarzo Local Government Area in the state, said: “I went to the school to check my results. I was standing beside a vehicle parked within the scene of the incident when the blast occurred and I was lost consciousness.”
Continuing, he said: “As God would have it, this is my fate and experience. This is the problem I have fallen into, but I thank God, everything that happened is destined by God.
“So all who are behind what happened to us, may God guide them to the right path because I will never wish them bad, but we pray that Almighty Allah will guide them so that they can embrace the truth and follow the right path.”
Another victim, 20-year old Usman Mohammed, who had sustained fractures on his legs, said: “As you can see, I sustained fractures on both legs, but all I will say is that we are begging the state government to kindly take proper care of us because majority of us are from poor families.”
Meanwhile, the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sunusi II, who yesterday, paid a sympathy visit to the affected victims of the Monday bomb blast, expressed concern at the degree of damage and losses the Islamic sect was inflicting on Nigerians.
For the campaign against the terrorist to succeed, the Kano Emir said all hands must be on deck so that the fight against the Boko Haram scourge can succeed.
“As it is now, all we need is to pray for Allah’s intervention to put a halt to the ugly situation,” the emir said.
The Kano monarch reasoned that it is only Allah in his infinity mercy that can bring a permanent solution to the security problem and called on the state government not to relent in its efforts in supporting the affected victims who are on admission in the hospital.
He prayed for the fast recovery of those who sustained injuries and for the repose of the soul of the dead.
But despite the plea by the emir for adequate medical attention to the injured persons, it was gathered that the shortage of blood in the hospital’s blood bank was threatening free medical treatment of victims of the blast.
The scarcity resulted in students donating blood in order to save the lives of their colleagues.
It was also observed that friends and relatives stormed the hospital, while some tried to identify their relatives. Some other persons also donated relief materials to the victims.
THISDAY gathered that there was no increase in the death toll, just as the state government revised the number of dead from the suicide bomb attack to seven and not eight as reported by the police.
The state Commissioner for Health, Dr. Abubakar Labaran, said: “One person died today (yesterday) and the total figure is seven persons, not eight.”