Mother And 2 Children Severely Burnt As Cooking Gas Explodes In Bayelsa

Mother And 2 Children Severely Burnt As Cooking Gas Explodes In Bayelsa

By Wires Editor | The Trent on November 29, 2021
Photo Credit: Christopher Furlong/Getty Images

A mother and her two children were on Sunday, November 28, 2021, severely injured after a gas explosion occurred along the Azikoro road in Ekeki community, Yenagoa Local Government Area of Bayelsa State.

Children aged 6 and 8 years were with their mother at about 6.30pm when the explosion happened in their kitchen.

A close neighbour told journalists that the three victims were home awaiting the arrival of the husband, who is a commercial motorcyclist popularly known as Keke Napep from Kogi State when the odour of gas leakage was perceived.

“Upon perceiving the smell of the gas, the woman left the children and switched on a torchlight to check the leakage, when a huge explosion which threw open their iron door and shook the building was heard.

Some sources within the area said the sound of the explosion threw neighbours into panic as it shook the foundation of some buildings in the area.

A visit to the building showed that the explosion threw up a ball of fire and the three severely injured family members were rescued by neighbours and taken to the Government House Clinic,” the 6years old boy was severely burnt because he was lying down naked when the explosion occurred. The mother and the other eight years old boy were severely affected too.”

Already, neighbours and good Samaritans have started pulling resources together to assist the victims, while calling on the Bayelsa and Kogi State Government to assist the poor family during these trying times.


Leave a Comment

To leave a comment anonymously, simple write your thoughts in the comments box below and click the ‘post comment’ button.