NAN – No fewer than five persons, including a six-month old baby boy, were killed in a fire incident between Friday, April 17 and Saturday, 18 in Lagos.
The Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Mr. Rasak Fadipe, disclosed this to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday.
He said that four of the victims were roasted to death in an accident that occurred at the Coastain area of the state, involving a commercial bus popularly known as `Danfo’.
According to him, the bus was carrying nine passengers when the accident happened.
He said that the bus was coming from Lagos Island at a top speed while descending to Coastain when suddenly the driver lost control and hit the pavement.
Fadipe added that the impact made the bus to summersault severally.
”The bus burst into flames, burning to death four men beyond recognition. Five others that sustained serious burnt were rescued and taken to the General Hospital, Marina, by the Lagos Emergency Ambulance Services. The police from Iponri Division removed the dead bodies to the same hospital. The incident happened on Saturday at about 12.12 p.m.,’’ he said.
The director added that a six-month old baby boy was burnt to death at about 9.30 p.m. on Saturday at CA Street, House 52, Shagari Estate, Mosan Okunola, Ipaja.
Fadipe said the fire was caused by a candlestick lit by the mother of the child, who claimed to be taking fresh air outside, when the incident happened.
He, however, advised members of the public against the use of the candle, stressing that many lives have been lost to it use.
Fadipe also called on parents to always keep an eye on their children while sleeping, advising them against locking up children at home and leaving for a far distance.