A 25-year-old plumber identified as Yahyah Ahmed, has died after he got trapped inside a well which he was digging for some residents at the Onipanu in the Somolu area of Lagos State.
Punch reports that Ahmed allegedly collapsed and died inside the well after all rescue attempts proved futile on Tuesday, May 12, 2015.
According to a source, an emergency call was placed to the firefighters of the Lagos State Fire Service after a failed attempt by some local Hausa men who were hired to rescue the deceased from the well which was about 120 feet deep.
The undisclosed source said, “The incident happened on Tuesday on Abbey Street, Onipanu. The man was a plumber and he was invited to dig the well. But as he was working, he suddenly became trapped.
“The people invited some Hausa men, but the well was too deep for them to bring him out. It was when the Lagos State Fire Service officials were invited to the scene that he was brought out.”
The Director of the Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe, who confirmed the incident said firemen from the Alausa division responded to the emergency call but unfortunately, the victim was brought out dead.
He said, “We were not called until it became too late. We suspect that the victim inhaled ammonia gas while digging the well and that was what killed him. We hope the residents of Lagos will take safety precautions that will avert tragedies.”