37 Soldiers Killed By Boko Haram In Borno

37 Soldiers Killed By Boko Haram In Borno

By Wires Editor | The Trent on July 9, 2020
5
Nigerian soldiers in a truck
FILE: Nigerian soldiers manning a checkpoint

Not less than 37 soldiers of the Nigeria Army Special Forces were killed on Tuesday, July 7, 2020, after a deadly ambush by suspected Boko Haram members, according to a report by Premium Times on Thursday, July 9, 2020.

The attack took place along the Maiduguri-Damboa highway.

The Nigerian military had on Wednesday, July 8, 2020, confirmed the attack but said only two soldiers died.

John Enenche, the coordinator of the defence military operations, said in a statement that the ambushed troops managed to “wriggle out of the assault to gun down 17 of the Boko Haram attackers”.

Enenche, a major general, said many of the Boko Haram/ISWAP attackers escaped with serious bullet injuries.

The military authorities in Abuja then directed the Theater Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole to “reinforce and dominate” the Damboa-Maiduguri road. Last week, ten soldiers, including a lieutenant, died in an ambush in the area.

Enenche’s claims contrasted with what some of the troops on the frontline are saying.

According to sources familiar with the incident, the military authority is only being economical with facts about the attack.

The sources, mostly serving soldiers in the front lines accused the military authorities of sweeping the sad development “under the carpet”.

How the attack happened

A source said “the attack occurred at about 7 p.m. on Tuesday when troops of 25 task force brigade, as well as soldiers from Sector 2 headquarters and those of 402/Special Task Force troops jointly departed the 25 Headquarters location for a fighting patrol along Damboa-Maiduguri road.

“The patrol team suddenly came in contact with an unconfirmed number of Boko Haram terrorists who were lying in ambush between Limanti and Bulabulin villages not far away from Damboa.”

The source said troops fought gallantly to escape the ambush, “but the insurgent kept on engaging them, so bad that the commander, one Colonel Bako, had to call for reinforcement.”

At the end of the fight, many casualties were recorded just as many soldiers were also missing in action, the source added.

“Initially about 27 soldiers were counted dead before more bodies were recovered which brought the death casualty to 37,” the source said.

Sources also revealed that the insurgents also carted away four gun trucks belonging to the Nigerian army.

5 COMMENTS

  1. Let the president give an executive order for national commission against proliferation of small arms and light weapon so that the can go for counter terrorist in Nigeria

  2. Nigerian army top leaders should stop losing to us and using our fathers, brothers n bread winners for sacrifice…… They equip the enemies better than their own soldiers, giving the enemies the movement routine of the soldiers. It hurts to see our soldiers falling like fowl every now and then.
    Our leaders will never go unpunished by Gods Grace….. Buratai and Buhari are disgrace and disappointment to this federation… Thanks

Leave a Comment

To leave a comment anonymously, simple write your thoughts in the comments box below and click the ‘post comment’ button.