Aminu Sani Jaji, the House of Representatives Committee Chairman on Public Safety and National Intelligence has disclosed that the alleged missing $44 million from the vault of the National Intelligence Agency, NIA, was not missing but only moved out of the agency for security reasons.
Speaking with correspondents on Friday, February 2, 2018 shortly after an investigative session with Rufai Ahmed Abubakar, the newly appointed director general of the NIA, Jaji said that the committee which was tasked with job of finding out the circumstances surrounding the appointment of the DG has met with relevant stakeholders in the matter, with the embattled DG tendering relevant documents to debunk allegations against him.
Jaji also pointed out that there were no internal protest nor petitions from the agency’s directors against their new boss.
He said: “We started the investigation last week. In the course of the investigation, we invited the immediate past acting DG of NIA. After that, we resolved to invite the present DG, NIA.
“Having interacted with him, we found out that already there are allegations against him in the social media, about his person and what have you. By and large, the issue of saying there are some directors in the agency that are protesting the appointment, as the chairman, we didn’t receive any information in this regard.”
“We tried to find out from the DG and some staff working in the agency, and there’s no protest. For me, it’s just something anonymous, so there’s none.”
Read more at Authority