Like everyone else, I have been enthralled by the story of Hasheem Suleiman–the 33-year-old gentleman who took a leave of absence from his construction job, slipped into sportswear and trainers and (reportedly) made the journey from Lagos to Abuja (a distance of some 778 kilometers by road) on foot; all to celebrate Buhari’s victory at the presidential vote.
Most spectacularly, Suleiman achieved this feat under 20 days!
I am not even going to deny that the last time I trekked from Ojota to Yaba in Lagos (a distance of some 11 kilometers) during the #OccupyNigeria protests, I couldn’t move my legs for days and had ice packs strapped to my thighs for weeks; while my nieces took turns to massage my knees as I sipped on bottles of Lucozade!
I am still amazed that anyone could embark on a most dangerous trek across Nigeria’s unsafe terrain because his candidate won an election and I am fascinated even more that Suleiman touched down in Abuja in one piece.
I have a few harmless questions of my own:
1. Who saw Suleiman when he began this trek and who was the first person he told about the trek?
2. Who did he make the promise to? Any living witnesses out there?
3. How come the media only knew about Suleiman’s adventure when he got to Niger State–a few kilometers from Abuja?
4. How was he able to survive armed robbers, drunk drivers, witches and wizards, ritualists, carnivorous animals and muggers on the roads?
5. Who made sure he didn’t get a lift while he trekked?
6. Is it even scientifically possible to trek from Lagos to Abuja under a month?
7. From all the pictures we have seen, Suleiman wore the same apparel from start to finish of his journey. Any reasons why? Did he ever stop to have a bath or wash his clothing?
8. Any third party out there who somehow accompanied Suleiman on this trip or kept track of his milestones?
9. Did he stop to have a nap, check into an inn, sleep in the bushes or play ten-ten with the babes on his stops? Did he at any point even stop to admire the birds chirping on trees?
If Suleiman achieved this feat like he wants everyone to believe, may I go out on a limb and ask that he gets a national award of some sort? Is there a place in the Guinness Book of Records for him?
Culled from Ekekeee.
The opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the author.