Tragedy struck on Sunday, August 17, 2014 at No. 5 Obi Street in Abakaliki when three siblings were unfortunately standing on a soak-away pit when it collapsed.
The incident happened when the older sibling, Miss Eunice Nworu, 10, who was carrying her little brother, Odinaka, climbed a concrete soak-away toilet pit alongside her other sister, Somtochukwu, 4 and tried to hang their clothes when the soak-away unexpectedly collapsed swallowing the trio.
Although, the youngest who is a year old died, the other two: Somtochukwu and Eunice survived sustaining injuries on various parts of their body.
The parents of the kids who hail from Effium, Ohaukwu Local Government Area of the state were in church for an early morning service at St. Theresa Cathedral when the sad event took place.
The father of the kids, Mr Ezekiel Nworu said was prompted to return home after numerous calls from neighbors while he was still in church.
Mr Nworu is however consoled that his entire family was not wiped out in the process.
He said, “The tragedy that struck my family intended to wipe out my whole family and put us in deep agony but after frantic efforts in search of my children, we were able to bring all of them out of the pit toilet; only that one of them who is the youngest could not survive it,”
Meanwhile, the surviving kids were immediately taken to the hospital and are presently undergoing treatment at Trinity Hospital inAbakaliki.