A teen in Norway collapsed and fell into a coma after drinking four liters of energy drinks during a 16-hour video game binge last month.
Henrik Eide Dahl, 14, says he was participating in a Call of Duty party in his school’s cafeteria when ‘everything went dark’ and he passed out from kidney failure.
While doctors wouldn’t specify what kind of energy drink Dahl consumed, his 4 liters is the equivalent of 16 8.4-ounce Red Bulls.
That’s a lot of caffeine: Henrik Eide Dahl, 14, fell into a coma last month after consuming 4 liters of energy drinks during a video game party.
Dahl was flown to a hospital in Lillehammer where his condition only worsened and he fell into a coma.
The only thing keeping the teen alive after the caffeine overdose was a respirator and a drip.
But eventually Dahl got better, and he woke up ‘terrified’ when he saw his brothers sitting at the edge of his bed crying.
Kidney failure: After collapsing on the floor of his schools’ cafeteria, Dahl was transported to a hospital in Lillehammer where his conditioned worsened and he fell into a coma .
‘It has been very scary, and i have learned that it is not good to drink that much energy drink,’ Dahl told Norway’s NRK network. ‘But it’s getting better and better every day. I’m starting to feel normal now.’
In total, Dahl spent 13 days in the hospital and is still on medication to control his high blood pressure.
Anne Katherine Duns, a doctor who treated Dahl, says he easily could have died.
‘It was severely life-threatening,’ Dr Duns said. ‘The central nervous system, cardiovascular system, lungs and kidneys were affected.’
Dahl is now expected to make a full recovery.
Getting better: Dahl is expected to make a full recovery, but is still on medication for high blood pressure.