Ebola: FG Stops Transportation Of Corpses To Nigeria

Ebola: FG Stops Transportation Of Corpses To Nigeria

By Joy Abobi | News Reporter on August 2, 2014
0
ebola africa
A doctor works in a laboratory on collected samples of the Ebola virus at the Centre for Disease Control in Entebbe, Uganda, following an outbreak that killed 16 people in 2012. (Photo Credit: Reuters/Edward Echwalu)

The worst Ebola outbreak in history has prompted the Federal Government to stop the corpses of Nigerians from being brought into the country for burial especially from countries were the virus is prevalent.

The Federal Government is also carrying out investigation on the corpse of a Nigerian that was brought into the country from Liberia in July, 2014 to find out if  the deceased died of Ebola or not.

This was disclosed by the director general, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, Professor Abdulsalami Nasidi on Frida, August 1, 2014 in Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos.

Nasidi said, “The Federal Government has issued a directive that no dead body should be brought into the country, especially from neighbouring infected countries in view of the rampaging Ebola outbreak in West Africa.

“The order will be communicated to the affected countries through diplomatic channels.”

Punch reports:

On the Nigerian that was brought into the country, Nasidi said the remains was brought into the country on 21 July, 2014 from Liberia and conveyed from Lagos to Anambra State and deposited in a private mortuary.

He said, “A team of experts, including those from the World Health Organisation, have been despatched to Anambra State to investigate whether the deceased died of Ebola.

“All the handler of the corpse brought into the country from Liberia will be registered and tracked.

“Those who accompanied the corpse to Anambra and the mortuary handlers are in quarantine in Anambra State. Our team in Anambra State will give us the statistics of those who came in contact with the corpse tomorrow (Saturday).

“If the corpse in Anambra State tested positive, we have been given two options by the World Health Organisation. We can either cremate or bury it. For corpses that would be buried, they will be placed in a bag, disinfected, while the grave must be two meters deep.”

Nasidi added that so far, 70 contacts had been established to have come in contact with Mr. Patrick Sawyer, the Liberian who died of Ebola in Lagos recently, saying that the contacts were being monitored to see if they would develop Ebola-like symptom.

He disclosed that two of the contacts that were brought down with fever had been tested and found negative to Ebola infection.

“But that does not mean that we will stop. We will continue to place them under observation until we are satisfied that they are free. They were part of the 70 established contacts. First, it was 59, it increased to 69 and yesterday (Thursday), we had another. And this increased the number to 70.”

Nasidi said there was no specific cure for Ebola virus.

“We treat the symptoms. If we say that there is no cure, the patients will not come to the hospital. There is no specific drug for Ebola virus. But we can use other drugs to save an infected person. On early intervention, three out four cases survive but if they come late, one out of four survive,” he said.

Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris, said the government had stepped up measures to screen incoming passengers to Nigeria to identify any traveller with symptoms in airports, seaports and border crossing.

He added, “Nigerians must remain vigilant and strengthen surveillance in order to identify potential cases of EVD so that care can be given both patients and their communities and protect the population.”

“An Ebola reporting system has been activated in order to facilitate early identification of suspected Ebola cases.”

NO COMMENTS

Leave a Comment

To leave a comment anonymously, simple write your thoughts in the comments box below and click the ‘post comment’ button.