Suspected members of the Boko Haram sect have attacked Kuda village of Madagali local government area of Adamawa state.
The terrorists killed at least 6 people and razed more than 20 houses in the attack. An aged woman was also allegedly burnt to ashes in the raging inferno.
The Punch reports that the insurgents invaded the village at 9pm on Monday, February 15, when the villagers were preparing go to bed.
They shot at fleeing villagers thus killing five persons and injuring several others.
Eyewitnesses said that the heavily armed insurgents invaded the village on foot and carted away some valuables.
Abubakar Kanuri, the head of Krichinga, whose village is close to Kuda village, confirmed the incident and revealed that the insurgents came through Malakwaya, a section of the Sambisa forest.
The village head said that he had yet to learn the exact casualty figure. “But I know that one old woman was burnt to ashes because she couldn’t flee her home when the insurgents set her house ablaze,” he said.
Kanuri said that scared people in the affected communities had fled to Gulak town and other places to seek refuge. According to him, the security situation in the area has worsened because the insurgents adopted different styles.
“Today, they will invade our villages as rustlers, another day they stormed our villages in convoy of vehicles and some time they will use cattle to deceive us that they are normal herdsmen only to start killing people.
“We need help in our area. Many are beginning to return but with current security situation, they may not return to these areas.”
“These crazy boys are still hiding in caves inside Sambisa forest,” he added.
One of the villagers, who gave his name as Usman, said that he was trying to recover from the terrorists’ attack unleashed on them last year, when he lost his property again to inferno that happened on Monday.
He stressed that it was time to hunt for the insurgents but not to wait for another attack. “The best thing is to follow them to their hidings than allow them to continue to kill innocent Nigerians,” he added.
Yesterday, Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed said that despite attacks by Boko Haram, insurgency was dead in the North East of Nigeria. He emphasised that the terrorists were ‘hungry and in disarray’, stressing that they are ‘now resorting to terror tactics’.
(Hattip to Naij)