A motor boy was shot dead by uniformed men suspected to be naval officers along Apapa-Oworonsoki expressway for allegedly refusing to part with N500.00 bribe.
The motor boy whose name could not be ascertained at the time of this report was said to have been shot around 1:00am at Coconut bus stop.
When Saturday Vanguard visited the scene of the incident by 9:00 am, the remains of the victim was still sprawled on the expressway with a crowd of sympathizers surrounding it.
A union comprising the tanker drivers and others barricaded the expressway causing gridlock.
When some police officers came and tried to evacuate the corpse, the irate crowd surged at them threatening to attack them while some threw rocks at them. The police men had to fire gun shots in the air to ward them off before pulling back.
The crowd demanded that the perpetrators be identified and brought to book before any attempt to evacuate the remains of the victim.An eye witness, a tanker driver, who spoke to Saturday Vanguard on a condition of anonymity, gave an account of what led to the shooting.
He said that the gunmen, whom he alleged were naval officers, came in a Hillux Van and demanded money from the motor boy and when they could not provide the money, an ensuing scuffle led to the shooting.
“What we saw was that three naval officers came to this area around 1:00 am in a Hillux van. They came to collect N500.00 from tanker drivers. This is not their first time of doing so.
They call it settlement money. So when they got to one of the tankers, they requested that the motor boy gives them money but he explained to them that he had been on the queue for about two weeks and that he had no money to give.
There were two other boys including the conductor. They were sleeping under the tanker before it began to rain and they moved into the truck”.
But the naval authorities dismissed the allegation as a rumour when contacted.