Rafael Benítez will leave Newcastle when his contract expires on Sunday, June 30, 2019, the club have announced on Monday, June 24, 2019.
Newcastle said in a statement: “It is with disappointment that we announce manager Rafael Benítez will leave Newcastle United upon the expiry of his contract on June 30, 2019.
“We have worked hard to extend Rafa’s contract over a significant period of time, however it has not been – and will not be – possible to reach an agreement with Rafa and his representatives.
“Rafa’s coaching staff, Paco de Miguel Moreno, Antonio Gómez Pérez and Mikel Antia, will also leave the club on June 30.
“We would like to thank Rafa and his coaching team for their efforts over the last three years and their significant contribution to what has been collectively achieved.
“We would also like to thank our supporters, players and staff for their patience during a period of uncertainty. The process to appoint a successor will now begin.”
Benítez wanted greater control of Newcastle’s recruitment process, including the freedom to sign the players he wanted regardless of their age or potential resale value.
The Spaniard has been linked with a possible move to the Far East, with the Chinese club Dalian Yifang reported to have offered him a contract worth £12 million a year. But he has made it clear in the recent past that he sees his future in Europe, and ideally in the Premier League.
The club’s situation is further complicated because the owner, Mike Ashley, is in talks with several potential purchasers, including the Dubai-based billionaire Sheikh Khaled Bin Zayed al-Nahyan, who said last month he had “agreed terms”.
Benitez arrived as manager in March 2016, replacing Steve McClaren, and took the club back into the Premier League at the first attempt after being unable to save them from relegation. Newcastle then finished 10th and 13th in the top flight.
Read more at BBC