No fewer than 60 people were killed on Friday, October 20, 2017 in two separate attacks on mosques in Afghanistan.
Officials say a gunman entered a Shia Muslim mosque in Kabul before opening fire and detonating an explosive, killing at least 39 worshippers.
An attack on a Sunni Muslim mosque in Ghor province same day, also killed 20 people.
No groups have so far claimed responsibility for the attacks but so-called Islamic State (IS) has previously targeted Shia mosques across Afghanistan.
The new attacks bring to at least 176 the number of people killed in bomb attacks across the country this week.
A witness told the BBC that the scene at Kabul’s Imam Zaman mosque, in the west of the city, looked like a “front line”.
Another witness, Mahmood Shah Husaini, said people had been praying when the bomber detonated his explosives.
The attacker is reported to have opened fire as worshippers gathered for Friday prayers, before detonating a bomb.
Kabul police spokesman Basir Mojahid confirmed the incident at the Shia mosque in Kabul, but did not give further details.
The attack on the Sunni mosque in Ghor, central Afghanistan, also killed a pro-government militia commander, according to reports.
Read more at BBC