In this digital age, the harmful effects of excessive exposure to artificial light during at night are often overlooked health concern. Sure, blue light has a good effect as it sends a signal to our body to stay awake, boost our energy and can elevate our mood during the day. However, many people are unaware that the blue light exposure after the sun goes down have multiple impacts on human health most especially, the eyes. Also, too much exposure to blue light has a negative impact on circadian rhythm – the human body’s natural sleep and wake cycles, resulting in a lack of sleep that can cause hypertension.
With the growing users of electronic devices with artificial lighting – more people are now more exposed to artificial blue light, especially at night. But these blue light effects can be mitigated in many ways and one of the best ways is by wearing blue light blocking glasses.
What is Blue Light?
Ideally, we should not be exposed to blue light after sunset. This is the time we should be winding down and prepare for a good night sleep. But this is not the case in today’s world full of digitalization wherein most people are still awake at night staring at a digital screen of television, smartphones and computers. Not to mention the other artificial lighting like LED and fluorescent light.
Benefits of Blue Light Blocking Glasses
The blue light negative effect is cumulative, and it can cause serious eye problem over time if ignored. That is why it is highly recommended to wear protective glasses. Depending on your lifestyle, below are the top three (3) benefits of wearing a blue light blocking glasses at night:
- It helps regulate melatonin production. Melatonin is a hormone that helps control our daily sleep-wake cycles. Exposure to blue light in the evening without protection interferes our sleep-wake cycle by slowing or completely stopping the melatonin production. Experts’ advise is to not stare at an electronic device that emits blue light at least 1-2 hours before bedtime. But let’s admit that this is impossible in today’s world full of digital entertainment like Netflix, YouTube and Facebook. So, to avoid the negative effects of blue light exposure at night, blue light blocking glasses are a must.
- It helps reduce the risk of serious illness for graveyard shifters. Lack of sleep can cause serious health problems such as depression, obesity and even heart disease. Research also says that lower melatonin level is linked with cancer and interfered circadian rhythm increases blood sugar. People who work at night are obviously prone to have dysfunctional circadian rhythm and disruption in melatonin production. Wearing blue light glasses helps regulate melatonin production, hence, minimizes the interference of sleeping patterns.
- It helps reduce eye strain. Working on a computer all day means staring at a digital screen at least 8 to 10 hours per day. And another extra 3 to 4 hours of looking at your smartphone’s screen after working hours and before bedtime. Staring at a screen for a long time without blue light protection results to eye fatigue, blurred vision, headache, dry eyes and redness – symptoms of digital eye strain. Blue light glasses will block the glare that affects visual contrast, sharpness and clarity of your eyesight.
Where to Buy Blue Light Blocking Glasses?
Blue light glasses are not just for those who are experiencing digital eye strain, having difficulty sleeping or graveyard shifters. It is technically for everyone who is concern about their long-term health. The blue light effect is cumulative, and you can feel it as you age. Hence, it is advisable to wear protective glasses as early as now. You can find the best blue light blocking glasses at Pixel. Their glasses are designed to:
- Blocks 95% of blue light wavelengths
- Reduce computer glare
- Prevents symptoms of eye strain
- Blocks 100% of UV light
Bonus Tips on Avoiding Blue Light at Night
- As much as possible, put away the electronic devices such as mobile device or laptops at night, ideally 1 to 2 hours before you sleep. This is the simplest and most effective way of avoiding blue light effect at night but requires a high level of discipline. You can try reading a physical book instead of an e-book or listen to music until you fall asleep. Use dim red lights when reading at night.
- Use blue light filter application like flux when you use your mobile device or computer at night. There are also applications in play store or app store that you can download for free. Also, lower the brightness of your tablet or mobile device’s screen. If you are using an iPhone – use the nightshift feature, it helps reduce the blue light emitted from the iPhone screen.
- Install blinds in your room and turn off all light sources before going to bed. Also, use an eye mask to block unavoidable light sources.
- When you accidentally wake up at 3 A.M, avoid looking at your phone’s screen except if it is an emergency. Your social media status can wait until the sun rises.
Avoiding the harmful effects of blue light isn’t hard if we will set our mind in doing the above tips and just think of our future health. For others, it is not easy to limit themselves from watching their favorite shows on Netflix after work and during the evening, browsing social media timelines or watch YouTube videos before bedtime. If you are like these people then, you must wear blue light blocking glasses every night, so you can have a good night sleep.