Sowore, kidnappers DSS arrested
FILE: Officers of the Department Of State Security Services (DSS), Nigeria's Secret Police

Anthony Okolie, an MTN subscriber, was unlawfully detained by the Department of State Services, DSS, for 10 weeks for using a phone number which was previously used and abandoned by President Muhammadu Buhari’s daughter, Hanan, according to SaharaReporters publisher Omoyele Sowore.

“A Nigerian man, Anthony Okolie, was detained for 10 weeks for using an MTN phone line previously used and abandoned by President Buhari’s daughter, Hanan,” Sowore shared in a tweet.

Since his release, Okolie has granted an interview with Punch. He said he was arrested following a complaint by Buhari’s daughter, Hanna and that she also refused to respond to the DSS’s requests for her to confirm that the phone line no longer belonged to her.

“She said she was busy with her studies in the United Kingdom,” he told the newspaper.

Recounting his meeting with Okolie while they were in DSS custody, Olawale Bakare, who was arrested alongside Sowore, stated that Okolie was released after 10 weeks in the state security custody.

Olawale, in a Twitter post, said, “Only if Nigerians know the level of lawlessness perpetrated by the DSS in the name of ‘order from above’, we will understand the danger of having a tyrant who has no iota of respect for human rights or dignity.

“The level of arrogance and confidence of the DSS to unlawfully detain innocent Nigerians is disgustingly obvious in their manner of operation and approach.

“Anthony Okolie who happened to be my cellmate at the DSS facility even got lucky to have spent only 10 weeks for committing no offense according to a Senior Intelligence Officer.

“Till now, no one, including Anthony, knows his offense.”

Olawale further disclosed that Okolie regained his freedom after being told “You’re now forgiven”.

On Thursday, Tope Akinyode, a legal practitioner, announced on Twitter that, Mr. Okolie had engaged his services to file for legal redress over the unlawful arrest.

“In line with my discussion with Mr. Anthony Okolie, we shall proceed to court to file a lawsuit against the SSS and Ms. Hanan Buhari, demanding compensation for the breach of the victim’s fundamental human rights. The lawsuit will be filed shortly,” he wrote, in one of a series of tweets, on the subject matter.

NO COMMENTS

Leave a Comment

To leave a comment anonymously, simple write your thoughts in the comments box below and click the ‘post comment’ button.