Doctors immediately operated on the youngster to remove the worm which targets the brain, and can often lead to extensive brain damage or even death before it is found.
The parasitic infection, known as a sparganosis, can occur in humans who consume infected frog, snake, raw pork or similar sized small mammals that have not been properly cooked.
Liao’s father Liang believes his son was always buying things from street traders in Shanghai, China, and rarely ate home cooked meals.
He said: “I don’t know why he ate that disgusting stuff, he once told me he had eaten grilled snake of all things. And I doubt that many of the other things they claimed to be serving him really what they seem to be. He is only 11, he wouldn’t have known the difference.”
The parasite usually infects dogs and cats, but occasionally humans can be affected.