AU Calls For 7,500-Man Force To Tackle Boko Haram

AU Calls For 7,500-Man Force To Tackle Boko Haram

By News Desk | The Trent on January 30, 2015
0

The African Union (AU) on Friday, January 30, 2015  called for a 5-nation 7,500-man military force to defeat the notorious Islamist sect, Boko Haram which has repeatedly marauded parts of North Eastern Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad and Niger Republic with the four countries collaborating with Benin Republic to form the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF).

Chairperson of the AU Commission, Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma who made the call said: “Boko Haram’s horrendous abuses, unspeakable cruelty, total disregard for human lives, and wanton destruction of property are unmatched,

“I am deeply concerned by the prevailing situation as a result of Boko Haram terrorist activities, including the recent escalation of violence witnessed on the ground,

“The continued attacks in northeastern Nigeria and the increasing attacks in the Lake Chad Basin, along the border with Chad and Cameroon, and in the northern provinces of that country, have the potential of destabilising the entire region, with far-reaching security and humanitarian consequences.”

Nations in the region had earlier agreed to commit a battalion each to the MNJTF, totaing about 3,000 troops but Dlamini-Zuma said “no efforts should be spared” in curbing the insurgent attacks after meeting held on Thursday, January 29, 2015.

“Accordingly, it is recommended that the countries of the region be authorised to increase the strength of the MNJTF to up to 7,500,”she said.

Chadian President, Idriss Deby, whose territory has been attacked on several occasions said: “We have seen too many meetings and no concrete action,

“Today, there are four countries affected by Boko Haram, but tomorrow it may be a continental problem.”

NO COMMENTS

Leave a Comment

To leave a comment anonymously, simple write your thoughts in the comments box below and click the ‘post comment’ button.