Boko Haram has attacked a village near Chibok Town in Borno killing four villagers and kidnapping three women on Tuesday, June 14, 2016, survivors say.
Boko Haram fighters attacked Kautuva village at dawn, set houses ablaze and fired on residents, according to villagers and a member of a vigilante group working with the army.
“Some of us were lucky to survive and ran to Chibok,” said a man who gave his name as Ali Pagu. Another resident said the jihadists had kidnapped three women.
Kautuva lies near Chibok, a town from where Boko Haram seized 276 girls from a school in April 2014, part of a seven-year-old insurgency to set up an Islamic state in the north of Nigeria. It has left some 15,000 people dead and more than 2 million displaced.
In May 2015, one of the missing Chibok girls reappeared on the edge of Sambisa Forest and was found by local vigilante. In a surprise move, the Nigerian government claimed that the army had rescued her with her 4-month old baby and Boko Haram husband. President Muhammadu Buhari vowed to rescue the rest of the girls.
Dozens of the girls escaped in the initial melee in 2014 but more than 200 remained missing. Parents accused former president Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s leader at the time of the kidnappings, of not doing enough to track down the girls and bring them home.
Boko Haram, which last year pledged loyalty to the radical group Islamic State, has kidnapped hundreds of men, women and children in their campaign to carve out an Islamist caliphate.
The US government, last week, said it had not found any major links between ISIS and Boko Haram, dismissing the terrorists claims as propaganda.
Under Buhari’s command and aided by Nigeria’s neighbors, the army has recaptured most territory once lost to Boko Haram, but the group still regularly stages suicide bombings.
Hatip tp Telegraph UK