Not less than 40 persons were killed last weekend, when suspected Boko Haram gunmen invaded three villages of Chuha A, Chuha B, and Korongilim in Chibok Local Government Area of Borno State.
According to a source, the attackers destroyed houses, shops and vehicles after carting away foodstuff and livestock.
Mallam Yakubu Joshua, a community youth leader in Chibok, who confirmed the incident through a phone conversation on Sunday, June 22, 2014 said: “Some suspected Boko Haram terrorists invaded Chuha A, Chuha B and Korongilim villages of Chibok council of Borno State and killed over 40 persons.
“The terrorists injured many other villagers, burnt many houses and made away with our foodstuff. The attack, which commenced at 7a.m. yesterday lasted over five hours before military intervened.
“I and some other residents of Chibok had made several telephone calls to the military, unfortunately they (military) only started bombing the surrounding area of the attack after over 40 members of our community had been killed.
“The lifeless bodies of our people are still littered in the three villages as I speak, but our present fear is that many innocent villagers may be hit by the ongoing bombings by the military.”
Also confirming the attack, the chairman Sector 5 of the local vigilante group in Borno State, Abba Aji Khalil, said his group was already doing everything possible to catch the suspected terrorists.
“Our members in Chibok and neighbouring local government areas are already in hot pursuit of the suspected terrorists.”
Meanwhile, efforts to reach the Borno State police commissioner, Mr.Lawal Tanko, and his spokesperson, Mr Gideon Jubrin, were unsuccessful, but a senior police officer, who said he was not in the right position to speak to the press, confirmed the incident.