This is to notify everyone that the Government of the Democratic Republic of Congo, DRC, has declared a new outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease, EVD, after laboratory results confirmed two cases of the disease in the province of Bikoro in the northwestern part of the country.
The World Health Organization, WHO, is working closely with the DRC Government to rapidly scale up its operations and mobilize health partners using the model of a successful response to a similar EVD outbreak in 2014 and 2017 to ensure the virus does not spread to neighboring countries.
Following this outbreak, the Federal Ministry of Health, Nigeria has directed a step up surveillance at all entry points in the country.
In the light of this new development, this is to remind everyone of the following very important preventive measures/risks:
1. Observe and maintain high standards of personal and environmental hygiene.
2. Wash hands regular to get rid of germs, bacteria, and other viruses. The hand is the means by which most infections are contracted – an average person touches his/ her mouth at least 10 times a day; science has proved that 70 percent of infections are contracted via the mouth through the hands.
3. Use hand sanitizers frequently when there is no access to water to kill possible germs.
4. Avoid close contact with people who are sick, ensure objects used by the sick are decontaminated and properly disposed.
5. Avoid touching or washing of dead bodies if not trained to do so.
Recognize the risks
1. Contact with an infected person with the following symptoms bleeding from the eyes, mouth, nose, rectum, and ear.
2. WHO indicated that the consumption of raw bush meat such as monkeys and chimpanzees is also risky.
Please remember, Ebola is regarded as the deadliest virus on earth, it has no known cure yet and is one of the world’s lethal infections. Therefore, we all have a responsibility to prevent the spread of Ebola by sharing the preventive measures with everyone around us.
Author unknown. Email our editors if you know the origin of this article.