The Catholic Bishop of Ekiti Diocese, Most Reverend Felix Ajakaye, has advised the military against publicising its strategies against the Boko Haram insurgents.
Ajakaye gave the advice in an interview with newsmen on Sunday in Abuja on the sideline of the 10th anniversary of the inauguration of Knights of St. John International, Commandery 574.
He expressed concern over the way the Nigerian military revealed sensitive anti-Boko Haram activities and plans in a bid to convince the public that “it was on top of the situation”.
He said that such information usually gave the insurgents the opportunity to re-strategise.
“We should mind what we say. Even as we are planning, we do not make strategies and reveal them on the pages of newspapers and electronic media.
“When the new chief of defence staff was appointed, he said insurgency in the country will end in April 2014.
“Even if he was planning towards it, he shouldn’t have made such a statement. Since then, the insurgency has continued to escalate.
“As foreign countries are coming to help with the Chibok kidnapping, it should have been done in a way that it wouldn’t alert those insurgents,” he said.
Ajakaye said that telling the public the number of insurgents captured or killed was also not proper.
He said also that there was the need for the government to ensure that its entire security agencies were motivated enough to tackle insurgency.