Explosion Rocks Ohanaeze Ndigbo National Secretariat In Enugu

Explosion Rocks Ohanaeze Ndigbo National Secretariat In Enugu

By News Desk | The Trent on January 28, 2015

The national secretariat of pan-Igbo socio-cultural group, Ohanaeze Ndigbo was on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 attacked with Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) by unidentified persons, leading to the destruction to parts of the building.

The explosion at the secretariat, located at No 7 Park Avenue, GRA, Enugu claimed no lives as the fire brought about by the explosion was put out, although it affected parts of the Akanu Ibiam Conference hall.

The incident is believed to be a change for the worse in the leadership squabble bedeviling the organisation as the Mbazuruike Amaechi-led elders’ council earlier constituted a Caretaker committee chaired by Ralph Obioha with President-General Gary Igariwey claiming his 4-year mandate had not been completed.

After inspecting the level of damage done to the premises, Obioha, while speaking to newsmen said: “I have inspected the place it’s quite an extensive damage. I can’t guess the motive or why such an attack should be targeted at Ohanaeze. It is a mystery and I condemn it in its entirety. It’s actually a bomb issue but the motive cannot be explained.”

Also commenting on the incident, Secretary General of the group, Joe Nworgu, said: “I don’t know the choice of that target whatsoever; It happened at about   8:45p.m; I was alerted at about 8:55p.m. It is unfortunate.”

A staff of the organisation, who pleaded anonymity said: “We also saw debris from the heavy impact of the suspected IED used in the attack, some iron rods that broke off the device, a burnt rug covering the elevated platform on which the wrecked and burnt conference table was seated.”

Another caretaker of the secretariat, also speaking anonymously in pidgin English availed that: “this thing happened on Saturday night at about 9p.m, and I heard a loud noise and when I run out, I see smoke at the hall and my name join me and we run to the place.
“As we reach the place, we saw one boy running from this window and climb this wire on the fence. The glass window break before, so, I feel he enter through that place.”

He said the police was called in after the escape of the suspect and an iron bucket in which the IED was built was recovered.

Enugu Police Spokesman, Ebere Amaraizu, said the explosion was not a routine bomb attack but was an attempt to burn down the building, adding that the police was already investigating the incident and will bring the perpetrators to book.



Leave a Comment

To leave a comment anonymously, simple write your thoughts in the comments box below and click the ‘post comment’ button.