The federal government has suspended all approvals for the use of its right of way for advertisements in Lagos State.
The Federal Controller of Works in the state, Mr. Godwin Eke, said the suspension was directed by the Minister of Works, Mr. Mike Onolememen.
The controller said the regulation would be effected nationwide in due course.
Eke said advertisers had been served notices and given seven days to comply by removing all advertisements in the government’s rights of way.
“We have written letters to advertising agencies to remove all advertising hoardings on all federal roads in the state within seven days, effective from January 23.
“The suspension affects approvals on use of rights of way, setbacks, clover leaves, loops, among others on all federal roads and setbacks.
“The aim of serving the advertising companies notices is to reclaim our rights of way and rebrand them,” he said.
Eke said the government observed that some structures standing on its rights of way were not properly done.
“We do not want advertisement billboards that will collapse like the one that collapsed near Third Mainland Bridge in 2014.
“We want to review everything,” he added.