Following a bomb blast in Sabon Gari area of Kaduna State, Governor Nasir El-Rufai last week announced a ban on beggars, street hawkers and motorcycle taxis (achaba) in the major streets of the state capital and surroundings.
Despite the ban, the beggars – who had earlier staged a protest at the Kaduna secretariat of the National Union of Journalists (NUJ), threatening legal action against Governor El-Rufai for defamation of character and violation of their right to life – along with street hawkers and motorcyclists were seen in full force on Monday. July 13, 2015.
According to Premium Times, the leader of the beggars, Abdullahi Jungunu said: “Apart from feeling insulted, we will be seeking legal redress against the government, first for defamation of character.”
Another beggar at Kawo junction said: “I do not care about what they say. All I know is I have to find something to eat and this is the only business I can do, begging.”
Reacting to the development, a resident and community leader, Mohammed Garba said the government sould make sure the ban is fully enforced.
He said: “Street hawking, street begging should be stopped by all means,” Mr. Garba said. “If you want to buy anything you can go to the markets and or shops located all over the streets.
“This little children that roam around the street begging are same people that criminals use to perpetrate their bad acts. Even the old beggars and handy capped are not to be trusted because many are caught with peddling hard drugs and banned substances.”