One of the issues which has trailed General Muhammed Buhari’s presidential bid has been that of his health and by extension, suitability for the tasking job of being President of Nigeria.
Emerging today, Saturday, January 17, 2015, medical reports allegedly obtained from the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital (ABUTH) shows that the All Progressives Congress’ (APC) presidential candidate, Muhammad Buhari has been diagnosed with prostrate cancer in late 2014.
These medical reports have been shared on blogs, forums, and social media platforms like Twitter, Whatsapp, BlackBerry Messenger, and Facebook and has already gone viral.
These serve to add weight to remarks made in December 2014 by the leader of the United Party of Nigeria (UPN), Dr. Frederick Fasheun who called on the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), General Buhari to present himself for medical assessment and declare his true health status.
Online media platform, Newsday reports that the diagnosis was got through a method known as Digital Rectal Examination (DRE) depicted indications of prostrate cancer.
A doctor at the hospital, who pleaded for anonymity as he spoke with Newsday, availed that: “The case of Gen. Muhammadu Buhari is a serious medical condition as it has got to the levels of that of an elevated prostate-specific antigen (PSA).
“Pathology tissue biopsy was involved in the diagnosis that produced the results.”
Prostrate cancer is said to be slow-growing and is the second leading cause of cancer death in men, after lung cancer according to NCI.
Buhari’s age and health condition has become a cause for widespread debate after he reportedly collapsed during the APC presidential rally in Calabar, last week, with Ekiti State Governor, Ayo Fayose accusing former President Olusegun Obasanjo of attempting a repeat of 2007, when he supported late President Umaru Msa Yar’Adua, who died in office.
The said health condition, according to unconfirmed reports, has prompted Northern leaders to consider entering negotiation with President Goodluck Jonathan for him to continue on office until 2019 when they will be able to field a healthy candidate, in order to avert a repeat of the Yar’Adua sitation.
An unnamed source was quoted as saying: “The North is beginning to rethink the promised support for Buhari in view of reports that he is suffering from a certain ailment which is believed to be wearing him down. There are also reports that the elders are pushing to cut a deal with Jonathan to complete his tenure in 2019 but extract a promise that power would be returned to the North via a younger and energetic Northerner. If anything happens to Buhari, power will return to the South-West less than a decade after President Obasanjo left Aso Rock.”
— Mario Puzo (@LordPuzo) January 17, 2015
The Trent is unable to authenticate the medical reports and calls we put through to ABUTH have been unsuccessful as medical records are confidential documents.