Lawyer Withdraws From Metuh Case Over Judge Okon Abang Human Rights Abuse

Lawyer Withdraws From Metuh Case Over Judge Okon Abang Human Rights Abuse

By Wires Editor | The Trent on May 22, 2018
Olisa Metuh , Court, Wheelchair
PDP National Publicity Secretary, Chief Olisa Metuh appears in court on Monday, January 25, 2016 | Facebook

The Federal High Court in Abuja has denied Olisah Metuh a case withdrawal on the account of his ill health status and refusal of the presiding judge to allow Metuh seek proper medical treatment.

Emeka Etiaba, SAN, a defence lawyer to Olisa Metuh, the former National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, announced his withdrawal from the case during the Monday, May 21, 2018,  proceedings of Metuh’s trial before the Federal High Court in Abuja.

The lawyer stated that Justice Okon Abang, who presided over the court, insisted that the trial would continue in the aftermath of Metuh’s fall while the proceedings were about to begin Monday.

Metuh fell while making his way to the dock.

The judge insisted that the defence should call its next witness.

“It will be against all procedure of trial to say I want to continue when my client is lying down and I don’t know whether he is dead or alive,” Etiaba said.

But the judge refused Etiaba’s application to withdraw from the trial, saying “it is an attempt to delay this trial”.

The lawyer however, while he remained in the court, insisted that he had withdrawn from the case.

He refused to offer further contributions even when asked for by the judge.

Metuh, who with his company, Destra Investment Limited, is being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, for the N400 million he allegedly received fraudulently from the Office of the National Security Adviser in 2014, fell down, shortly after the case was called on Monday.

Metuh fell as he was moving towards the dock.

The judge had to stand down the matter to enable medical officials to attend to the defendant.

The court’s medical officials, whose attention were called after the incident, entered the courtroom at about 9.19 am.

On resuming sitting, the judge asked three of the court’s officials to narrate what happened.

They all said Metuh defied the judge’s warning not to go to the dock but to remain seated in his position.

One of the doctors who attended to Metuh has informed the judge that the defendant needed to see his doctor.


Leave a Comment

To leave a comment anonymously, simple write your thoughts in the comments box below and click the ‘post comment’ button.