NAN – A 23-year-old man, Bulus George, was remanded in prison on the orders of FCT High Court for allegedly beating a security guard to death.
Justice Ajoke Adepoju said on Thursday that the accused should be kept behind bars pending when his bail application would be heard.
She said that since the offence was a capital one the accused required a lawyer to represent him.
George, who had been in police custody for over one year was alleged to have attacked and killed a security man, Aigbe Moses, in Lugbe, Abuja, following a misunderstanding.
The accused, who hacked the man to death with four others still at large, is facing a two-count charge of criminal conspiracy and culpable homicide.
He, however, pleaded not guilty.
The prosecution told the court that George and others committed the offences on Oct. 25 and were subsequently arrested by the Police the same day.
At the resumed hearing of the case on Thursday, the prosecution counsel, Mr John Ijagbemi, told the court that an application seeking to press a criminal charge against the accused had been filed.
“There was an application filed on June 12, 2014 seeking to prefer a criminal charge on the accused.
`The application is supported by a seven-paragraph affidavit … there is also a proof of evidence, a list of witnesses and exhibits on the matter,’’ Ijagbemi said.
Ijagbemi urged the court to give a date to enable him to open a case against the accused.
The case was adjourned to March 9 for ruling on the bail application.