SAD: High Tension Wire Falls Electrocuting Man, Burns 20 Shops In Lagos

SAD: High Tension Wire Falls Electrocuting Man, Burns 20 Shops In Lagos

By Vanguard on May 26, 2014
Delta imo lagos federal government college
File Photo

LAGOS — Goods worth several millions of naira were yesterday destroyed by fire which gutted a market at the Low Cost Housing Estate, Oke-Afa, in Ejigbo Local Council Developmental Area of Lagos State.

It was gathered that 20 shops were affected by the fire suspected to have been caused by power upsurge.

This came as tragedy struck, weekend, in Ikorodu area of Lagos State following the electrocution of a man by a high tension wire that snapped.

Vanguard learnt that an alarm was raised by a night guard, who noticed smoke billowing from one of the shops moments after power was restored, following which youths in the area battled to contain the situation.

But their efforts were in vain as the fire spread to other shops, where power generating sets were kept.

The youths, it was gathered, forced  some of the shops  open and took the goods to safer place. Some  shop owners, who were contacted reportedly  rushed to the scene to salvage some of their wares. While some of them succeeded, many others did not.

When Vanguard visited the scene at 3 p.m., yesterday, the affected shop owners were seen lamenting their  loses.

Confirming the incident, the Lagos State Fire Service Director, Mr Rasaq Fadipe, said when news of the incident reached them, two trucks from Isolo and Ikotun fire stations were drafted to the scene to put out the fire, adding that no life was lost.

The deceased identified as Ahamed Abas, was reportedly in the company of an undisclosed friend inside a commercial bus at 5.45a.m., Saturday.

On reaching Disu Ajegbe Street, the duo reportedly saw a high tension  wire which snapped from a pole and resulted in a fire.

The fire, according to the Lagos State Fire Service Director, Rasaq Fadipe, was spreading towards an auto parts shop.

Fadipe said an eye witness narrated that Abas  alighted from the commercial bus and attempted to throw the wire away from the auto parts shops, with his bare hand, only to be electrocuted.

Read More


Leave a Comment

To leave a comment anonymously, simple write your thoughts in the comments box below and click the ‘post comment’ button.