It has now become well established that a media syndicate with the sole purpose of tarnishing the image and reputation of the Dr. Goodluck Jonathan family is in existence, given the litany of continuous falsehoods being dished out and fed to the unsuspecting public about either Dr. Jonathan, Nigeria’s former President or his dear wife, Dame Patience Jonathan.
The purported story in the media about a missing $175 million allegedly belonging to the former first lady is not just fictitious but plain falsehood.
This submission is based on the following facts:
1. The former first lady neither owns nor did deposit any such funds into any bank anywhere in the world.
2. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has not made any statement to the existence of an investigation of any missing $175 million linked to the former first lady.
3. If any such funds as claimed, which was deposited by certain and verifiable persons, has gone missing without a trace from a known bank, Skye Bank, as was reported, then, the bank and those mentioned must be held to account for the funds and not the former First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan, who was in no way a part of the transaction.
4. The claim that the money was credited to a company linked to Dame Patience Jonathan is also false; otherwise it should be officially substantiated with credible evidence by Skye bank and the EFCC jointly mentioned in the report.
5. The falsehood of the entire story, which is being circulated on social media, is further strengthened by its allusion to unknown sources within the EFCC as its source, its reference to unknown convictions of companies linked to Dame Patience Jonathan by a court of law and its claim that Dame Jonathan is in court to claim $15million for which a No-Debit-Order was placed by the EFCC.
For the avoidance of doubt, while indeed it is true that Dame Patience is in court for the protection of her fundamental rights infringed upon by a No-Debit-Order placed on her funds by the EFCC, it is not for $15million but for funds less than $10 million as has been severally clarified on her behalf.
In addition, no court of law, has either convicted the said companies or concluded on matters brought before it on Dame Patience Jonathan’s behalf. The matters are still before the Court and, as such, the claims by the said media report credited to the Nation Newspaper and Sahara Reporters reputed for falsehood, that companies mentioned as parties in the suit have been convicted is the weakest strength of the entire tissue of lies that the report avers.
Dame Patience Jonathan states unequivocally for the umpteenth time, that she is innocent of allegations of theft or money laundering credited to her in the media. She calls on media practitioners to rise to the challenge of nation building and desist from maligning political targets for the sake of political expediency, which sadly compromises truth and reality.
Further to that, she now warns that media houses being used by mischief makers as veritable platforms to malign, blackmail and impinge on the credibility of her name, family and concerns will no longer enjoy the latitude of the rights they have consistently abused, as every conceivable legal means would be invoked to ensure that they are brought to justice.
Hon. Evans Bipi
Spokesperson for the Former First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan