Cristiano Ronaldo has reportedly been offered a bumper three-year contract to continue his playing career in Saudi Arabia after the World Cup.
The 37-year-old had his Manchester United contract terminated earlier this month, following a tumultuous relationship with club chiefs that only worsened when he made a number of controversial statements in a TV interview with Piers Morgan.
Throughout the summer Ronaldo stated that his desire to make a move away from Old Trafford was in large part motivated by the club failing to qualify for Champions League football.
While Saudi Arabian giants Al Nassr might not be able to provide European football for Ronaldo, they have offered a contract worth £186 million over three years to the iconic Portuguese striker, according to a report from CBS Sports.
The monstrous contract is said to be on the table in order to entice Ronaldo to make the switch to the Middle East, but the player is still evaluating the options available to him in Europe.
Al-Nassr are one of the most successful clubs in Saudi Arabia, having being crowned winners of the country’s top flight nine times, with their most recent triumph coming in 2019.
Prior to the World Cup, Chelsea were seen as the most likely Premier League destination for Ronaldo, particularly given Todd Boehly’s long-standing admiration for the Portugal captain.
However reports suggested earlier this week that the club had ‘gone cold’ on signing the forward, but that the situation was fluid should Boehly change his mind.
Blues boss Graham Potter is also not believed to be interested in signing the five-time Ballon d’Or winner, despite his team having scored just twice in their last five Premier League fixtures.
Ronaldo was named FIFA’s Player of the Match after Portugal’s 3-2 win over Ghana, which meant he had to attend the ensuing press conference.
He stayed in the room for 132 seconds and answered one question but, for the first time, publicly addressed his situation after being cut by United.
‘It is important we won,’ said Ronaldo, shaking his head when he heard United’s name mentioned.
‘It was a week that finished this chapter. It is closed and now I want to start with the good foot. We started here, we won.
‘I want to help my team and all the rest of the squad.’
Ronaldo showed why he is still a force to be reckoned with during Portugal’s clash with Ghana on Thursday.
He became the first man in history to score at five different World Cups, opening the scoring from the penalty spot in a thrilling 3-2 win for Portugal.
The win puts Ronaldo’s side top of Group H after Uruguay drew with South Korea, but there may be some concern at how close they were run by Ghana.
Portugal are next in action against Uruguay on Monday.
Ronaldo Cautioned By Police For Smashing Phone Of Everton Supporter
The Manchester United star lashed out following his side’s 1-0 defeat against the Toffees in April
Cristiano Ronaldo has been cautioned by Merseyside Police after he smashed a young Everton fan’s mobile phone back in April.
As he and his team-mates left the pitch following their 1-0 defeat at Goodison Park, the Portuguese superstar was filmed angrily slapping the device out of 14-year-old Jacob Harding’s hand. He subsequently apologised to the youngster before being voluntarily interviewed by Merseyside Police under caution in relation to an alleged assault and criminal damage.
Following the interview and their investigation into the incident, the matter was dealt with “by way of conditional caution”.
What did the Merseyside Police statement say?
The full statement raleased by the police read: “We can confirm that a 37-year-old man voluntarily attended and was interviewed under caution in relation to an allegation of assault and criminal damage.
“The allegation relates to an incident following the Everton v Manchester United football match at Goodison Park on Saturday 9 April.
“The matter has been dealt with by way of conditional caution. The matter has now concluded.”
Ronaldo offered Old Trafford day out as apology
After the footage of Ronaldo’s outburst made its way into the public domain via social media, the Red Devils forward released an apology which include the offer of a visit to Old Trafford to watch a Premier League fixture.
“It’s never easy to deal with emotions in difficult moments such as the one we are facing,” he wrote. “Nevertheless, we always have to be respectful, patient, and set the example for all the youngsters who love the beautiful game.
“I would like to apologise for my outburst and, if possible, I would like to invite this supporter to watch a game at Old Trafford as a sign of fair-play and sportsmanship.”
However, that offer was declined by the young boy’s mother.
She claimed: “The way I see it is, if someone assaulted him in the street and then asked us to go around for dinner, we wouldn’t. Just because he’s Cristiano Ronaldo, why would we do it?
“It’s like we owe him a favour but I’m sorry, we don’t. It’s in the hands of the police.”
Source: Daily Mail