The governorship ambition of the deputy governor of Edo State, Pius Odubu, is under threat as suspected paid gunmen attacked his convoy on Saturday, April 30, 2016 in Auchi, headquarters of Etsako West Local Government Area of the state.
Etsako West is the senatorial district of the sitting governor of the state, Adams Oshiomhole. Odubu was said to have escaped death by the whiskers as the gunmen fired different shots, aiming to take away his life.
It was learnt that a policeman, an operative of the Department of State Services (DSS) and three other persons sustained various injuries in the clash, Daily Post reports.
Odubu had last Wednesday, April 27, 2016 formally declared his intention to succeed his boss, Adams Oshiomhole in the APC primaries coming in June this year while the guber election is slated for September 10,2016.
Insider sources say his decision to run for the governorship did not go down well with his boss following the messy relationship between the two power brokers in the state.
It was revealed that the former lawmaker had earlier been denied access to the party’s secretariat in Fugar, Etsako West allegedly on the instruction of an official at the state government house.
He was said to have left for Auchi and was meeting with some delegates when the gunmen suddenly appeared and fired gunshots at his convoy.
It was learnt that Odubu did not injure, two of his security details, three civilians were reported injured while canopies were destroyed.
“No, he was not injured but two of our security men were injured. It was in Etsako West, in Auchi.
“We ran for our dear lives. They injured a policeman, a DSS operative and three civilians and destroyed canopies. We learnt that they were paid N1m to carry out the attack,” the source said.
Meanwhile, the police public relations officer for Edo State, Mr. Osifo Abiodun, is yet to confirm the development.